Sign in with
Your question

Motherboard problem?

Last response: in Motherboards
February 2, 2012 7:26:33 AM

So I have this problem, my motherboard's splash screen comes up at the start when I initially turn on my machine, but freezes there. If I leave it like that for a few minutes and reset it, it works fine. It will even restart normally once it's initial warm up time wraps up. I changed hard drives, stripped it down to just one stick of memory, and tried different slots. Everything is running at stock speeds other than the memory, I boosted the voltage up to 1.65v to see if that fixed the problem since the memory wants to be at 1.65v, but no change. The only solution I came up with was that it has to be the motherboard. Anyone have other ideas of what it could be?

My current set up is this:
Motherboard: Gigabyte Z68X-UD7-B3
CPU: I7-2600k
GFX Card: 2x GTX 580 SLI
Memory: 4x 2GB Corsair 1866mhz DDR3
HDD: 1x Intel 80gb SSD (boot disk), 1x WD Black Caviar 2tb (everything else)
Power Supply: Ultra 1000w
Case: Thermaltake GT Level 10

More about : motherboard problem

a b V Motherboard
February 2, 2012 7:47:56 AM

I have a similar system that does something similar when I boot it up in the morning. If I go into the BIOS and just let it "warm up", it will boot normally. If I let it boot up otherwise "normally", it will fail to read the hard drive and give me a disk boot failure. I'm not sure if it's the mobo, PSU, or the hard drive itself though so I wouldn't rule out the other two in your case as well, especially with a SSD in play.

If I had to start somewhere, I'd probably swap out the PSU with a more reputable model with similar wattage from a company like Antec, Corsair, SeaSonic, XFX, etc.
m
l
Related resources
February 3, 2012 1:18:48 AM

I've reset the bios yea, just took the battery out for a few. And actually the hard drives are new. What's odd is that even with everything USB disconnected I still get the occasional sound from windows as though something is being connected and then disconnected. But nothing ever shows up. I tried swapping out SATA cables too cause I figured maybe one of them was doing it but no.

It's definately a hard problem to pin point because I have to let it sit off for awhile before I can change something and test it again, other wise it may just have had it's warm up time. I have a new motherboard and memory showing up tomorrow though. Going back to my trusted ASUS brand.
m
l
a c 329 V Motherboard
a c 146 } Memory
February 3, 2012 1:22:06 AM

That will not always do it.

Reset the CMOS memory as described in the motherboard manual using the clear CMOS link with the power cord unplugged.
m
l
February 3, 2012 1:31:00 AM

The manual says that is one of the ways to clear the cmos. And it's easier that hunting for the pins to clear the cmos. It didn't help like I said. Plus I really don't see how CMOS setting could effect that. If it doesn't POST it doesn't POST. That happens prior to it checking those values and generally should show an error message if that's a problem.
m
l
a c 329 V Motherboard
a c 146 } Memory
February 3, 2012 1:34:10 AM

OK, can u get in to safe mode? F8
m
l
February 3, 2012 2:38:02 AM

I can
m
l
a c 329 V Motherboard
a c 146 } Memory
February 3, 2012 3:10:21 AM

I it working fine in SM with networking?
m
l
February 3, 2012 4:39:53 AM

It works fine when it's not in safe mode... What does that have to do with it freezing at the motherboard's splash screen?
m
l
a c 329 V Motherboard
a c 146 } Memory
February 3, 2012 4:48:45 AM

Davil said:
It works fine when it's not in safe mode... What does that have to do with it freezing at the motherboard's splash screen?

Because in the safe mode most of the drivers are not loaded, and if the freeze is not there, than it is caused by driver conflict.
m
l
February 3, 2012 6:55:38 AM

Ok I don't think you understood. It doesn't freeze with anything software related. It's PRIOR to anything loading. The motherboard splash screen just comes up and freezes. Then if I wait I can reset it and it'll work fine. It's not windows related. Windows isn't even in the equation.
m
l
February 7, 2012 4:40:12 PM

remove the mb from the case, remove also the power suply!
put them on your desk...on the mb put the vga (only one) do also Ram!one by one
conect with PW---ATTENTION!! ..launch (short the two pins on the pw @ your MB)
NO KEYB & MOUSE, NO HDD, NO NOTHING arttached!.. if its the same prblm change the ram and (or) the vga) if pressists ....bring it back to your supplier ! ( although i thing its a 60% hdd - 20% vga - 20% Ram problem!!
hope i could help !
Greez Gab
======================OPEN YOUR MIND===================
m
l
February 7, 2012 9:36:50 PM

gabxan said:
remove the mb from the case, remove also the power suply!
put them on your desk...on the mb put the vga (only one) do also Ram!one by one
conect with PW---ATTENTION!! ..launch (short the two pins on the pw @ your MB)
NO KEYB & MOUSE, NO HDD, NO NOTHING arttached!.. if its the same prblm change the ram and (or) the vga) if pressists ....bring it back to your supplier ! ( although i thing its a 60% hdd - 20% vga - 20% Ram problem!!
hope i could help !
Greez Gab
======================OPEN YOUR MIND===================

No because I already did all that, and actually stated at the beginning that I did that. I just didn't unmount my motherboard because that would be silly. If it was shorted it would just not work, as opposed to working after a time. Turns out when I changed the motherboard though it all works.
m
l
January 30, 2014 12:46:19 AM

i guess you can press tab to enter the post screen and see where is stuck and if the routine identifies some error.
m
l
!