Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Graphics Card Replacement Help

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
Share
December 29, 2010 5:11:34 AM

Hello i would like to update my graphics card for my computer of two years old. I currently have trouble running some games such as Starcraft2, which my computer can only handle the lowest settings. Specs included below.


Operating System
MS Windows Vista Home Premium 64-bit SP2

CPU
Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 @ 2.40GHz 63 °C
Kentsfield 65nm Technology

RAM
6.0GB Dual-Channel DDR2 @ 399MHz (6-6-6-18)

Motherboard
PEGATRON CORPORATION Benicia (CPU 1)

Graphics
HP w2007 @ 1680x1050
Intel(R) G33/G31 Express Chipset Family

Hard Drives
625GB Western Digital WDC WD6400AAKS-65A7B0 (SCSI) 41 °C

Optical Drives
TSSTcorp CDDVDW TS-H653Q

Audio
Realtek High Definition Audio

This is my pc. : Not purchased from here.


I was recommended this graphics card, as well as this one and i need a new power supply and fan as well? I'm really not sure about all this. Any advice is appreciated! Thank you for your time.

Edit: My budget is under $300.
December 29, 2010 5:48:21 AM

yes you need to upgrade your power supply.
get this at least (550w psu):
http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817341022&cm_re=ocz-_-17-341-022-_-Product

a 4850 is old (but still packs a punch), i'd rather recommend these:
GTS 450:
]http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814125344&cm_re=gts_450-_-14-125-344-_-Product]

GTX 460:
]http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814127534&cm_re=gtx_460-_-14-127-534-_-Product]

AMD 6850:
]http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814150516&cm_re=6850-_-14-150-516-_-Product]
OR
]http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814125353&cm_re=6850-_-14-125-353-_-Product]

you can go up to GTX 470, 570, HD 6870, 6950, 6970, depends on your budget of course. the PSU i recommended is perfect for the cards that I posted with links (you should go higher when you plan to SLI or xFire).
m
0
l
December 29, 2010 8:06:28 AM

I will definately look through and consider them.

I was told that the graphics card might not fit into my computer? The manufacturer width is 7 inches.
Also, would you recommend a new fan? Thank you for your time!
m
0
l
Related resources
December 29, 2010 9:59:44 AM

all of the cards that i picked (with links) should fit any standard micro ATX case. that should be no problem. but please do double check. AMD 5850 (and above), gtx 470/570, gtx 480/580 should be longer than those cards so if you're going to pick one of them, i suggest you tripple check.

are you going to punch holes for the new fan?
or are you going to replace the exhaust fan?
anyway here's a really strong one:
http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835150007&cm_re=80mm_fan-_-35-150-007-_-Product

or if you want to look a bit cooler than that:
http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835119033&cm_re=80mm_fan-_-35-119-033-_-Product
m
0
l
a c 193 U Graphics card
December 29, 2010 12:21:02 PM

You have not provided a budget. If you'd like to spend as little money as possible, get a HD5670. You will not need to replace your PSU to run that card, and since your resolution is not particularly high, you will likely be able to play with decent settings; not all maxed, but compared to the early Intel Graphics Media Decelerator you have now, you'll think you're in heaven.
With a higher budget, consider your resolution. If you have no plans to upgrade your monitor, a 380W Antec Earthwatts and a HD5750 or HD5770 will be sufficient. If you plan to upgrade to 1920x1080 (or higher), you'll probably want a HD6850 or GTX460, for which a 500W-550W PSU would be a safer choice.
HD5670: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... for $80 or $65 if you play the rebate game and win.
HD5750: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... for $120; this is the HD5750 I'd choose, as the HIS models have an effective, quiet cooler.
HD5770: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... for $130, or $100 if you play the rebate game and win.
HD6850: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... for $180.
GTX460: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... for $190, or $170 if you win the rebate game.
Antec EA-380D: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... for $45, or $30 if you win the rebate game.
Antec Neo Eco 520W: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... for $60.

Edit: Note that those two Antec PSUs do not include the power cord. That's ok since you should be able to re-use the one you have.
m
0
l
December 29, 2010 8:32:56 PM

carlhenry said:
all of the cards that i picked (with links) should fit any standard micro ATX case. that should be no problem. but please do double check. AMD 5850 (and above), gtx 470/570, gtx 480/580 should be longer than those cards so if you're going to pick one of them, i suggest you tripple check.

are you going to punch holes for the new fan?
or are you going to replace the exhaust fan?
anyway here's a really strong one:
http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835150007&cm_re=80mm_fan-_-35-150-007-_-Product

or if you want to look a bit cooler than that:
http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835119033&cm_re=80mm_fan-_-35-119-033-_-Product



I'm going to replace my fan.
How should i double check to know if the card and/or fan will fit into my case?
Edit: It seems that i have a PSU exause fan and a rear exaust fan.. which do i replace?
m
0
l
a c 193 U Graphics card
December 29, 2010 9:49:28 PM

Why replace either one? Is one of them dead, noisy, or do you have a heat problem? The little voltage switch on that PSU suggests it is crappy. I wouldn't put anything meatier than a HD5670 on it, but I think you will be quite pleased by the improvement, without spending a lot of money.
m
0
l
December 30, 2010 12:49:41 AM

Onus said:
Why replace either one? Is one of them dead, noisy, or do you have a heat problem? The little voltage switch on that PSU suggests it is crappy. I wouldn't put anything meatier than a HD5670 on it, but I think you will be quite pleased by the improvement, without spending a lot of money.


Noise isn't a problem, though i wouldn't mind a quieter fan. It seems that my pc is warmer than usual. It occasionally goes over 60 c.
How should i check if the card will fit?

Edit: I'm running Vista which only supports DirectX 10? So shouldn't the card i get support the 10 as well instead of 11?
m
0
l
a c 193 U Graphics card
December 30, 2010 8:51:12 AM

If it is warmer, make sure the fans and heatsinks are unobstructed by dust buildup. At only 80mm, you'll find it difficult to find a rear fan that will move a lot of air without sounding like a hair dryer. Choose a video card that exhausts as much of its heat as possible, like a HIS model with an IceQ cooler.
Replacing your PSU with something efficient like that 380W Antec Earthwatts will also reduce heat, possibly a lot depending on how inefficient it is.
m
0
l
January 5, 2011 10:23:30 PM

StarlightSoul said:
Hello i would like to update my graphics card for my computer of two years old. I currently have trouble running some games such as Starcraft2, which my computer can only handle the lowest settings. Specs included below.


Operating System
MS Windows Vista Home Premium 64-bit SP2

CPU
Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 @ 2.40GHz 63 °C
Kentsfield 65nm Technology

RAM
6.0GB Dual-Channel DDR2 @ 399MHz (6-6-6-18)

Motherboard
PEGATRON CORPORATION Benicia (CPU 1)

Graphics
HP w2007 @ 1680x1050
Intel(R) G33/G31 Express Chipset Family

Hard Drives
625GB Western Digital WDC WD6400AAKS-65A7B0 (SCSI) 41 °C

Optical Drives
TSSTcorp CDDVDW TS-H653Q

Audio
Realtek High Definition Audio

This is my pc. : Not purchased from here.


I was recommended this graphics card, as well as this one and i need a new power supply and fan as well? I'm really not sure about all this. Any advice is appreciated! Thank you for your time.

Edit: My budget is under $300.


StarlightSoul said:
I will definately look through and consider them.

I was told that the graphics card might not fit into my computer? The manufacturer width is 7 inches.
Also, would you recommend a new fan? Thank you for your time!


Hi, I have the same motherboard and a similar configuration, I'm going to upgrade my pc and I waant to ask you if you have upgraded the videocard and if you have found some problems or not. I know I need a better psu, but I'm not sure if the gpu works correctly with our motherboard. Thanks in advance
m
0
l
a c 193 U Graphics card
January 5, 2011 10:39:22 PM

Those should work pretty well.
m
0
l
!