Aftermarket cooler for AMD Phenom II X4 955 BE

coolrollin3

Distinguished
Jun 2, 2011
Hey all;
I am building a gaming computer this summer and have been debating on an aftermarket cpu cooler. This is my first build so I don't know a whole lot about it. At the moment I don't see why I would need to overclock my cpu. My intentions with the comp: gaming, primarily BF3. I was wondering if I need an aftermarket cpu cooler or is the stock is acceptable? Also, i will list the specs for my computer, I'd love to get some feedback on them. Like i said, I don't really know if this is a great setup...i think it is. I am open to all suggestions. However, I will say I do have a budget.

P.C Specs:
cpu: AMD Phenom II X4 955 Black Edition
mobo: Asus M4A97TD EVO
gpu: ATI Radeon HD 6870
ram: Patriot "G" Series "Sector 5" 8gb DDR3 1600
hdd: Hitachi Deskstar 1TB 7200 rpm
psu: Thermaltake TR2 RX 750W Bronze
case: Thermaltake Element G

this setup runs at about $900. I can't spend more the 1K. all comments/suggestions are appreciated. Thanks

If you don't overclock the stock cooler is fine unless you live somewhere very hot. You don't really need more than 4Gb RAM for gaming but RAM is cheap so no harm in having the extra. I can't find what motherboard that is so can't comment. You could consider Intels i3 2100 or i5 2500 or bulldozer when its released (could be anywhere from July to September maybe even later). Also the new 9XX series AM3+ boards should be available soon if you want to look at that for potential upgradability.

coolrollin3

Distinguished
Jun 2, 2011
hey sorry, i wrote the wrong numbers down for the cpu. it is an Asus M4A87TD EVO. here is the link: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131647
sorry about that.
oh and just so you all know, i am planning on ordering the parts next week. I am happy with my setup and don't really see the need to change it. Also, from the research ive done, it sure seems like Intel is much more expensive then AMD. I don't think i can build a similar computer with intel parts.

Stardude82

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2006
IMHO, AMD fans whine a lot.

Crazy idea, for $40 you can get at 5200+ and see what sort of performance you can wring out of it until BD gets here, with whatever aftermarket cooling solution.

However, the AM3+ motherboards in the ~$100 range don't seem to have Crossfire, at least not on New Egg.