Sign in with
Your question

P67 Mobo's are coming! Build Revision 1.1B =P

Last response: in Systems
March 3, 2011 3:41:20 AM

I posted about a month ago for a new build that I was planning on doing with a 2500K right before the chipset MOBO problem. All was good as I didn't have the money than anyway. NOW, I just sold my Macbook and PS3... and now I'm ready to GO! Still waiting on the MOBO's, but the fact that at least 1 is showing up on NEWEGG makes me optimistic that I will be able to order all my parts soon... Here's Hoping... So now, on to the build!
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Approximate Purchase Date: As soon as either an ASRock p67 Extreme 4 becomes available or an equivalent

Budget Range: Soft cap of $1200, Hard Cap of $1300, if necessary

System Usage from Most to Least Important: Gaming most importantly (new titles, future titles, RIFT (maybe), DNF, DA2 etc), Watching Blu-rays & Movies, General internet surfing and Word processing etc.

Parts Not Required: Monitor (have a 23" Asus with 1080P), Mouse

Preferred Website(s) for Parts: 95% of my parts will most likely come from AMAZON, as I have no shipping charges, and NO TAX. Plus I have $100 credit. =) There are Microcenters around... but honestly, it would probably cost me more in gas and tolls to get there than it's worth.

Country of Origin: New Jersey, USA

Parts Preferences: Just high quality parts. I don't want to have to replace parts in the near future.

Overclocking: Maybe (leaning towards yes)

SLI or Crossfire: Maybe (if it even becomes necessary, I don't really plan on doing multiple monitors)

Monitor Resolution: 1920 x 1080

Additional Comments: The case and the video card are the 2 things I'm unsure of... Going back and forth between a 560 and a 6950.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

List of Parts

CPU: $228.99 Intel 2500K from Amazon

MOBO: ~$150 ASRock P67 Extreme4 (revision B) from Newegg... when it finally comes available.

PSU: $169.99 Corsair Professional Series Gold High Performance 750-Watt Power Supply CMPSU-750AX from Amazon

CASE: $109.99 Antec Mid-Tower Gaming Case Nine Hundred Two V3 from Amazon

GPU: $276.99 Sapphire Radeon HD 6950 2 GB DDR5 DL-DVI-I/SL-DVI-D/HDMI/Dual Mini DP PCI-Express Graphics Card 100312SR from Amazon

I was also looking at the 560 instead of the 6950... but I think the 6950 flashed (if necessary) might edge out the overclocked 560.

RAM: $106.99 (inc Tax) G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800 from Newegg

Optical: $99.99 LG Electronics 10X Blu-ray SATA Writer Drive with Software WH10LS30K from Amazon

HDD: $89.99 Western Digital Caviar Black 1 TB Desktop Hard Drive (WD1002FAEX) from Amazon

CPU Cooler: $26.00 Coolermaster Hyper 212+ from Amazon

Keyboard: $9.99 Generic Keyboard from Amazon... no link necessary

Windows 7: $99.99 64 Bit home system builder from Amazon... same as above

Arctic Silver: $6.30 from Amazon... see above

So my Amazon order puts me at $1,118.22 but then we subtract the $105.00 in credit I have, and we Have $1,013.22. Add the ram at $107 + ~$150 for the MOBO and I'm at approx $1270. So I guess I'm a little over, but I think I have high quality parts here, and I won't have to worry about upgrading or anything for a long time.

Thoughts? Suggestions? Comments? Concerns?

Fire away!
Anonymous
March 3, 2011 6:25:38 AM

Pretty much a solid build
Mod your 6950 2GB before flashing it to avoid problems
m
l
March 3, 2011 7:03:55 AM

Two changes to that build... First off...with that case...you might as well have RAM to match it. This RAM down below is the exact same RAM you have up there with the only difference being the heat sink. Blue LED's, blue RAM...

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... $99.99 FREE SHIPPING
G.SKILL Sniper 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model F3-12800CL9D-8GBSR

Second...the psu. That Corsair is a good one, but man is it ever spendy. Blue LED case, Blue LED psu... this psu down below is "semi modular"... Antec calls it "hybrid cable management". This psu down below has gotten some good reviews.

http://www.amazon.com/Antec-Truepower-TP-750-BLUE-Manag... $99.99 & this item ships for FREE with Super Saver Shipping
Antec Truepower 23754 TP-750 BLUE LED 750-Watt PSU NVIDIA SLI Certified 80 Plus Bronze Advanced Hybrid Cable Management Power Supply

m
l
Related resources
March 3, 2011 9:14:30 AM

@why_me
Extremely helpful as always!

Good call on the RAM... Pretty much the same thing... Didn't realize.

That antec does seem to be a decent power supply. I was originally looking at the xfx black 750 w modular, but came across the corsair on accident. Seemed to have all the bells and whistles for a great price... Modular, gold standard, etc. I don't care for LED lights from Power supplies but i will look into it more.

Everyone on here gets that Samsung spinpoint. I was just concerned that it was 5400 rpm... Plus I would probably buy that from newegg because the packaging stories about that hard drive on amazon are horrendous!

@sr26 I know I can look this up on the forum, but what modifications would I need to do to the 6950 before I flashed it?
m
l
March 3, 2011 9:49:30 AM

Spinpoint F3 is 7200rpm - grab the 1TB one.

Edit: Not the one Why_Me linked, this one;

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Grab an XFX Black 750 or HX-750 over the Antec Truepower by a long shot, worth the slight premium in cost.

Antec 900 is pretty meh to build with - and I'm hugely against tacky LEDs, every person who visits your house knows you're a sweaty nerd.

Better off with a HAF 912 ($59.99 Newegg Free Shipping), with additional nice silent 120mm fans in the side panel (1x) and top (2x) and front (1x), such as Scythe Gentle Typhoon or Yate Loon Low/Medium, for cheaper.

Also ew @ generic keyboard, I'd spend a little more for something of a bit of quality.

6950 / 2500k / Hyper 212+ / G Skill RAM all excellent choices.

ASRock mobo is OK, but consider a UD4 Gigabyte or P67 Pro Asus if you're concerned with quality (and still decent value)

Should be a good build! Enjoy!
m
l
March 3, 2011 12:48:26 PM

@Nerdbox87 The XFX Black 750 is $40 cheaper... still debating about it.

I had looked at the 912... I agree with you about the LED's... so if I got that, I should get 3 additional 120mm fans. I'll check into that as well, would save some money and would lose the flash.

The keyboard is exactly that. A keyboard. I never needed anything fancy. I do have a mac keyboard laying around, but I'm pretty sure they aren't compatible. Unless I am wrong?

As for the MOBO... I'm waiting on the revisions to be done. But from what I've read ASRock which is a subsidiary company of ASUS has become just good. Again, no one has owned the mobo long enough to say otherwise.... Another thing I will be looking into.

EDIT: Newegg just sent a letter with 10% off RAM, Corsair PSU, & BD Drives... so I may buy those from newegg as it will offset the tax and save me a little bit.
EDIT2: One thing I'm concerned about with the 912 is that there are no filters for the fans. I have a dog and 2 cats and I"m worried excess hair will clog the fans, or worse, get inside the case Anyone else have experience with this? Thanks!
m
l
March 3, 2011 4:07:19 PM

Any other thoughts?

I'm really up in the air about the case. I want one that has good airflow, doesn't need flashy lights or anything. The HAF 912 or 922 are good, but as I stated before, animal hair is a concern with no filters.

I'm sticking the XFX Black Edition for $126.99 from Amazon (Newegg I would be paying tax, and almost $12 shipping??? so no deal there, even with the rebate)

I'm also considering getting a 560 TI and overclocking it for better performance... It's also slightly cheaper. For 1080P @ 23", it seems good enough with room to add another later if I wanted to.

I'm still undecided, just looking for more input!
m
l
March 3, 2011 6:33:42 PM

The GTX 560 (or 6870) is good enough for 1920x1080, and both scale very well when you add a second card. The 6950 may be worth the little extra though in the long run due to the 2GB VRAM (not an issue at the moment for that res), but yeah any of these options is a good purchase.

Not sure how taxes affect it (I'm Aussie) but the XFX has a 30$ mail in rebate from Newegg, bringing it to 99$ + $6 Shipping (Not $12?) - which is a damn good deal?

Otherwise grab a HX-750, the AX Corsairs aren't worth the premium because the HX series as so good. (with Black Edition XFX almost as good as HX)

As for the cases, the Coolermaster HAFs are great but yeah no filters isn't ideal. I've got a HAF-932 with the DemciFlex filter set :)  (available for HAF 922 / 932)

http://www.pccasegear.com/index.php?main_page=product_i...
(I'm sure it'll be cheaper from non-Aus stores lol)

http://www.demcifilter.com/

They're affordable and good looking magnetic filters which are mounted externally for easy removal and cleaning. A HAF 912 already has filters in front and PSU, so you only need 1x 120mm filter for the side panel.

HAF 912 ($59.99) + 4x 120mm Yate Loon Lows (Two Top, Two Front, Move Coolmermaster one to Side Panel)($21) + 1x 120mm Black DEMCiflex Filter (~$10) = $90.99 incl. Shipping
m
l
March 3, 2011 6:46:00 PM

@Nerdbox87

Yeah, you are right about the XFX PS shipping. I must have been looking at the wrong one or something else completely. 7% Tax on $130 makes it $139, so minus the rebate, it'll be $109 + $6 shipping. Although I'm not too keen on MIR... Or I can get it for $126 from Amazon... free shipping and no tax. Anyways, I'm decided on that PS. SO moving on! =)

I think the HAF 912 will be the winner. Just don't know where I can get the yate loons. Also was considering getting a 200mm fan for the front, moving the 120 to the side, and then getting a 200 for the top. I guess I can get all of that after I buy the case, and see how everything works out. I need to search for those magnetic filters... pretty sweet!

I guess the 6950 is still a sweet deal. Especially if flashed.

Stupid motherboards... should be here soon. I think I'm gonna submit my newegg order today, because of the 10% off on RAM & Blu-ray drives, and hope an asus or gigabyte or asrock mobo is avail by next week. I think they will be.
m
l
March 3, 2011 6:58:40 PM

Yeah 200mm Fans wouldn't be a bad idea, though typically 2x 120mm low speeds with be just a quiet and same airflow but cheaper.

http://www.amazon.com/Yate-120mm-Model-D12SL-12-Black/d...

$4 Each + $5 Shipping (combined postage?)

Good choice with the PSU and 6950.

Now...because I'm a bad influence, how awesome is this;

(with 5x Yate Loon Lows, front, top and bottom with Fractal front fan moved to side) = SEX
m
l
March 3, 2011 7:21:49 PM

Just got it today -- Go and splurge at will

m
l
March 3, 2011 7:36:26 PM

NICE! Where'd you get it from? Microcenter? local shop? I'm jealous!
m
l
March 3, 2011 7:39:37 PM

Yes please do tell... ^^^
m
l
March 3, 2011 8:28:26 PM

Micro Center in Michigan, Madison Heights
m
l
March 3, 2011 8:52:57 PM

P67 mobos are now showing up on amazon!! Not available yet, but I think within the next couple days... I'm ordering my stuff!
m
l
March 3, 2011 9:12:12 PM

:)  Oh, you might wanna consider getting your processor at micro center. THey pride themselves on selling processors cheaper than new egg. They will beat any price that they have on processors. So get it from them
m
l
March 3, 2011 10:11:52 PM

I know, MC is cheaper, but only by $30, which after tax translates to about $20, but after tolls, time, and gas... they about break even! =P
m
l
!