Looks like it is time to remove Macromedia Flash player pl..

Last response: in Laptops & Notebooks
a b D Laptop
April 1, 2005 8:14:10 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.laptops,alt.computer.security (More info?)

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&cid=74&ncid...

In short, they can put back cookies, and malware after you have deleted it
if you have the Flash player installed in your favorite browser. Just what
will they think of next?
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
April 2, 2005 3:04:31 AM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.laptops,alt.computer.security (More info?)

See the following to block/remove shared objects.

http://www.macromedia.com/support/flash/action_scripts/...

--
http://www.standards.com/; See Howard Kaikow's web site.
"Richard Johnson" <richj@remove.this.tairedd.com> wrote in message
news:D 2ko4s01abk@news3.newsguy.com...

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&cid=74&ncid...

> In short, they can put back cookies, and malware after you have deleted it
> if you have the Flash player installed in your favorite browser. Just
what
> will they think of next?

April 2, 2005 3:52:26 AM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.laptops,alt.computer.security (More info?)

"Richard Johnson" <richj@remove.this.tairedd.com> wrote in message
news:D 2ko4s01abk@news3.newsguy.com...
> http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&cid=74&ncid...
>
> In short, they can put back cookies, and malware after you have
> deleted it
> if you have the Flash player installed in your favorite browser. Just
> what
> will they think of next?

Visit http://www.macromedia.com/ or any site that shows Flash content.
Right-click on the Flash content and select Settings. Click on the
Folder icon button. Set their cache to zero and check the box to
remember your setting. Flash uses its own cookie files which have the
..sol filetype.

If the web page you visit with Flash content has disabled user
configuration of some settings, visit Macromedia's online settings
manager at
http://www.macromedia.com/support/documentation/en/flas...
(they have yet to deliver a seperate utility that you can run locally).
Unlike UI applications that open their own window, the mouse cursor will
not change when you hover over clickable objects in that web page; i.e.,
you click on the tab buttons to change between panels but you won't see
the mouse cursor change to indicate they are clickable. If you use the
Website Privacy Settings panel (5th tab) to clear the Flash cookies
(.sol files), not all are deleted as a file search will shows some still
around, one of which retains the settings you configured.

I use PopUpCop as my popup blocker (works better than the rest that I've
trialed) but haven't yet managed to convince its author to include .sol
files in its cookie whitelist feature (the author isn't familiar with
Flash cookies enough to want to touch them yet).

And what is with the deliberate scare tactic by the OP claiming the
article says that Flash is going to be used to install malware? All it
mentions is using a shared object to rebuild Flash cookies, but if you
set the Flash caches to zero than you have no locally saved shared
objects.

April 2, 2005 4:18:49 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.laptops,alt.computer.security (More info?)

If you use SpywareBlaster (a free prog- very useful), it gives the option of
disabling existing versions of Flash on your computer, and preventing
websites from installing it. I don't know about Flash installing malware-
SpywareBlaster offers the option to protect you against unwanted advertising
stuff, and does not suggest that Flash has any evil intentions.
--
Benny
*******
"Richard Johnson" <richj@remove.this.tairedd.com> wrote in message
news:D 2ko4s01abk@news3.newsguy.com...

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&cid=74&ncid...

> In short, they can put back cookies, and malware after you have deleted it
> if you have the Flash player installed in your favorite browser. Just
what
> will they think of next?

Anonymous
a b D Laptop
April 2, 2005 4:18:50 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.laptops,alt.computer.security (More info?)

Benny:

I don't think the folks that make flash player had this in mind, but now
that it is known how to do it by using the other company's product, malware,
spyware, as well as cookies will not be removable by the user. That to me
is a VERY large problem. I have deleted Flash Player on my machines based
upon this story. Until Macromedia allows me to modify it's security
settings to fully disable this feature I am not installing it again. I also
think that everyone should follow suit to prevent this type of security
breach. (If a user wants no or limited cookies, spyware, or malware on
their machine.) By the way, spyware removal tools won't get it off either.
Flash players security issue allows malware to simply puts it back upon
deletion as I understand the story.

Rich
"Benny" <ple@se.reply.to.newsgroup.only> wrote in message
news:D 2kveb$h8l$1@spacebar.ucc.usyd.edu.au...
> If you use SpywareBlaster (a free prog- very useful), it gives the option
of
> disabling existing versions of Flash on your computer, and preventing
> websites from installing it. I don't know about Flash installing malware-
> SpywareBlaster offers the option to protect you against unwanted
advertising
> stuff, and does not suggest that Flash has any evil intentions.
> --
> Benny
> *******
> "Richard Johnson" <richj@remove.this.tairedd.com> wrote in message
> news:D 2ko4s01abk@news3.newsguy.com...

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&cid=74&ncid...

> > In short, they can put back cookies, and malware after you have deleted
it
> > if you have the Flash player installed in your favorite browser. Just
> what
> > will they think of next?

April 6, 2005 3:27:04 AM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.laptops,alt.computer.security (More info?)

On Fri, 1 Apr 2005 16:14:10 -0800, "Richard Johnson"
<richj@remove.this.tairedd.com> wrote:

>http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&cid=74&ncid...
>
>In short, they can put back cookies, and malware after you have deleted it
>if you have the Flash player installed in your favorite browser. Just what
>will they think of next?

##########################
I block all cookies. Do I still need to get rid of Flash?
donnie
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
April 6, 2005 3:27:05 AM

"donnie" <donnie@queyosepa.org> wrote in message
> On Fri, 1 Apr 2005 16:14:10 -0800, "Richard Johnson"
> <richj@remove.this.tairedd.com> wrote:
>

>http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&cid=74&ncid...
401/tc_cmp/160400719

> >In short, they can put back cookies, and malware after you have deleted
it
> >if you have the Flash player installed in your favorite browser. Just
what
> >will they think of next?

> I block all cookies. Do I still need to get rid of Flash?

No, see my post in this thread on how to block the shared objects.
!