• Power Supplies
  • Cable
  • Components
  • Product
Last response: in Components
June 2, 2011 6:52:52 AM

I'm building my first gaming computer and bought the corsair 750W power supply
this one to be exact:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Now the mistake I made was that its not a modular power supply which I later found out causes less need for cable management and better air flow, this power supply has crazy wires going everywhere (This just might be me being a noob since its my first experience with constructing a computer)

I have no idea where the cables go, I have a general idea that there are some that stand out that fit on the fans in the case, and there were 2 cables that went into the motherboard on the 8 and 24 pin power connector. Is there any more cables that are supposed to be in the motherboard? I know some of them go into the grahpics card and the harddrive slots in the front, also theres like all these small cables for speakers/power/restart button etc which I have no idea where they go

This might be a stupid post, but if anyone has a good method on teaching me how they work and where they go, that would be much appreciated!:) 

More about : assemble psu

June 2, 2011 7:08:58 AM

This video gives an overview...

This ones not as good..

Hope this helps!
-Psyco_Kitty
m
l
Related resources
June 2, 2011 7:23:22 AM

I watched the first one, but he just explains which cable hes putting but not where and doesnt really show which cables hes putting :/ 
m
l
a b ) Power supply
June 2, 2011 4:44:00 PM

Here's a crazy tip, read your motherboard manual, it tells you where all the cables go.

Your video card manual will tell you how those wires install.

HDD's and DVD drives are self explanatory, 1 sata cable and one power cable to each drive.
m
l
a b ) Power supply
June 2, 2011 4:45:24 PM

The important PSU cables:
-motherboard 24 pin
-CPU 4- or 6-pin
-HDD sata power cables
-ODD sata power cable
-Graphics card PCI 6- or 8-pin power cables, 1 or 2 per card depending on the model
-Case fans plug in either directly to the board or, more commonly, to the 4-pin molex connectors on the PSU (http://images.ncix.com/forumimages/122C9266-840A-10A8-B...)
m
l
June 2, 2011 7:38:00 PM

I got the motherboard 24 pin and there was another 8 pin on the motherboard, plugged in the graphics card and i the case fans, but the only thing I'm missing is the ones for the restart button, power button etc. I've read the manual and it's no help
m
l
June 2, 2011 8:54:12 PM

The restart button, power button, etc.. will be a case connector going into your motherboard. Sometimes it's on the bottom left of the MOBO, but it all depends on your specific manufacturer/model.

Just read through your motherboard manual and it will outline this task. Or if you can't find it, please post your motherboard model number and we can try and help you.
m
l
a b ) Power supply
June 2, 2011 11:37:23 PM

arsenalftw067 said:
I got the motherboard 24 pin and there was another 8 pin on the motherboard, plugged in the graphics card and i the case fans, but the only thing I'm missing is the ones for the restart button, power button etc. I've read the manual and it's no help

MOTHERBOARD MANUAL. WE CANT READ IT FOR YOU.
m
l
a b ) Power supply
June 3, 2011 2:51:30 AM

power connectors......stick it where it fits!
m
l
a c 144 ) Power supply
June 3, 2011 3:58:08 AM

Build it yourself:
http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/forum/274745-13-step-step...

And although this primarily a troubleshooting thread, the first part contains a checklist that will catch most noob mistakes:
http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/261145-31-read-postin...

Case wiring (switches and LED's):
The switches are not polarized, so it doesn't matter which way they are connected. The LED's are polarized. The white wires go to the negative terminals. At any rate, if you connect the LED's backwards, nothing bad will happen. They just will not work. In that case, just reverse the leads.
m
l
June 3, 2011 4:10:52 AM

the thing is, on the manual theres a diagram of where the power led + power led - power switch, H.D.D. led and reset switch goes, but the way the motherboard is constructed, the switches dont go exactly on there. for example it says the power switch takes up a slot, but the case power switch takes up 2
m
l
a c 144 ) Power supply
June 3, 2011 4:13:52 AM

???
m
l
a b ) Power supply
June 3, 2011 4:32:14 PM

arsenalftw067 said:
the thing is, on the manual theres a diagram of where the power led + power led - power switch, H.D.D. led and reset switch goes, but the way the motherboard is constructed, the switches dont go exactly on there. for example it says the power switch takes up a slot, but the case power switch takes up 2

Dude, we all have done it, for me a few hundred times. The manual is always right when it comes to the switches. Do what it says. If you can't figure out what it's telling you, find someone that can.
m
l
!