Sign in with
Your question

HD 5670 1gb PCI 2.1 with m2n68-am PCI 1.0 ??

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
December 29, 2010 8:37:11 AM

Hello,
i have a custom computer with asus m2n68-am(not plus or se2, only am) with now with Nvidia GeForce 9400GT and it works pretty fine....i would like to put a new gigabyte HD5670 on this motherboard and i was wondering if this could work....my problem is that my mobo has only 2x PCI 1.0 slots....and HD5670 has got PCIe 2.1....can this work?? and if,will i have any performance drop...??? ((PSU 650W chieftec)

More about : 5670 1gb pci m2n68 pci

December 29, 2010 11:15:52 AM

PCIe is just like the usb standard, It's all backwards compatible. So a PCIe 1.0 can be used in PCIe 2.0/2.1. And a PCIe 2.1 card can be used with PCIe 1.0/2.0. So for a simple answer, YES IT WILL WORK!

P.S. I will suggest to uninstall the nvidia video card driver software completely. Restart and run registry cleaner and make sure there are no Nvidia video drivers running then install the AMD CCC software because, so many people say AMD drivers sucks when it was really their fault by not getting rid of all old video drivers before installing the new ones.
Related resources
December 29, 2010 11:23:05 AM

dowsire said:
PCIe is just like the usb standard, It's all backwards compatible. So a PCIe 1.0 can be used in PCIe 2.0/2.1. And a PCIe 2.1 card can be used with PCIe 1.0/2.0. So for a simple answer, YES IT WILL WORK!

P.S. I will suggest to uninstall the nvidia video card driver software completely. Restart and run registry cleaner and make sure there are no Nvidia video drivers running then install the AMD CCC software because, so many people say AMD drivers sucks when it was really their fault by not getting rid of all old video drivers before installing the new ones.

thank you very very much :D  ...but i don't know how to uninstall the drivers...from the control panel...??and for the registry cleaner can i use CCleaner...??or another program?? about the AMD CCC, i must install it after uninstalling the nvidia drivers..??or after installing the HD5670 drivers..?
a c 363 U Graphics card
December 29, 2010 1:54:13 PM

There have been known issues with installing a PCI-e 2.1 card into a PCI-e 1.0 slot. Some mobo manufacturers have released a BIOS update, but it's better to simply get a PCI-e 2.0 card.

Here's a list of HD 5670 PCI-e 2.0 cards. Additionally, there is no performance difference between a 512MB and 1GB version, unless minor differences in benchmark numbers are important to you.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=E...
December 29, 2010 1:55:14 PM

yeah pci express is backwards compatible,it will do fine with hd 5670.
a c 363 U Graphics card
December 29, 2010 1:56:56 PM

You can uninstall the drivers from Add/Remove Programs from the control panel. Uninstall the nVidia drivers, turn off the PC, remove the nVidia card, install the ATI card, turn on PC, and install the ATI drivers.
December 29, 2010 2:52:59 PM

jaguarskx said:
There have been known issues with installing a PCI-e 2.1 card into a PCI-e 1.0 slot. Some mobo manufacturers have released a BIOS update, but it's better to simply get a PCI-e 2.0 card.

Here's a list of HD 5670 PCI-e 2.0 cards. Additionally, there is no performance difference between a 512MB and 1GB version, unless minor differences in benchmark numbers are important to you.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=E...

yes i have read a lot about those problems...but my mobo (asus),as i say into the 2nd reply,is PCI 2.0 ready as you can see it in the top right corner of the page...:p  and as i have read in wikipedia and other forums the mobos that are pci 2.0 compatible,they can also read cards with pci 2.1...!!
December 29, 2010 2:58:44 PM

additionally,i would like to thank you all for the quick replies.. :bounce: 
!