Sign in with
Your question

My Ram over heats and shuts down the computer

Last response: in Components
June 2, 2011 8:13:14 AM

Hello,

i work for a company and one of their computer overheats and shuts down after running 100% CPU power the only was it work is if we stick a big fan to the side of it any suggestions? i think its the ram as they reach about 85 degrees there is about 32gb of ram packed next to each other
June 2, 2011 9:56:35 AM

You can get something like this for cooling memory: http://www.scan.co.uk/products/corsair-cmxaf2-airflow-f...

I've personally not heard of a computer shutting down from overheating / bad RAM before - I think you'd be more likely to get a BSOD if this was the issue. Computers do shutdown to protect themselves from an overheating CPU. What temperatures are you reaching there, when it's at 100%? It could be that whatever application your company is running on this machine is too much for its CPU.
June 2, 2011 3:01:34 PM

Reset the BIOS to defaults, or at the very least make sure nothing is being overvolted (at least no more than would be needed to account for vDroop).
Related resources
June 2, 2011 11:09:45 PM

I bet the volatage regulators or the southbridge is overheating and not the ram.
June 3, 2011 12:34:46 AM

I doubt it's the ram. Usually it's the PSU or CPU that's overheating. Cleaning is a good start.
June 3, 2011 1:09:38 AM

What is the brand and model (not just wattage) of the PSU? It could also be what is shutting down under load.
!