Sign in with
Your question

Processor upgrade?

Last response: in Motherboards
February 2, 2012 1:14:43 PM

Well, I want to upgrade from my crappy old Pentium processor so it doesn't bottleneck my graphics card if I get a new one. I have a FOXCONN 2A8C motherboard.
I was wondering if it supported processor replacement?
And, at that, it would be appreciated if someone would suggest a decent quad-core for a moderate price.

Thanks.

More about : processor upgrade

a b V Motherboard
a b U Graphics card
February 2, 2012 2:08:32 PM

No, that is ancient man.

But you can get a modern cpu, 8GB DDR3 and a mobo for around $200.
February 2, 2012 7:46:53 PM

in case you don't want to go that route, here are a few processors that should fit your MB.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=E...

From what I've read that MB is a socket 775 so these most likely would work.

However, I do have to agree withthe previous poster, you could bet all three for around $200 and then have a new platform to start with
Related resources
February 2, 2012 9:28:14 PM

Well, that's a kick to the balls.
Thanks for the feedback anyways. I got this pre-built for Christmas, and I'm not allowed to sell it.
And geekapproved, by cpu, do you mean motherboard? Or a whole new computer?
a b V Motherboard
a b U Graphics card
February 2, 2012 9:43:22 PM

cpu = processor

Ok well when you said old Pentium I thought you meant Pentium 4, which pentium processor do you have?

Keep in mind, not all s775 cpu's fit in all s775 motherboards. A lot of motherboards don't work with the 45nm cpu's.

The board you have is a oem board, not a board you can buy off the shelf, so there's no way we can tell you which cpu's work with it. That's the problem with buying pre-builts, most of the time they are throw away computers.
February 3, 2012 9:48:41 PM

Pentium(R) Dual-Core E5500 at 2.80 GHz. It's utter crap >_>
June 6, 2012 1:34:14 PM

chase1159 said:
Pentium(R) Dual-Core E5500 at 2.80 GHz. It's utter crap >_>

I'm literally having the same problem, except I have just got my Powercolor Radeon HD 6670 DDR3 1GB through the post today. YET I can not fit it in my computer... -.-
!