Sign in with
Your question
Closed

Can't get Windows 7 to recognize USB 2.0

Last response: in Motherboards
February 2, 2012 2:02:53 PM

Hello,

I have been having problems with getting USB 2.0 to work on my Windows 7 system since I bought it. I tried to fix it, but it never bothered me too much. Recently it has become more of a problem though. Sometimes I have to disconnect a USB device just to get Windows to boot, and the 1.1 speeds can be frustrating when copying large amounts of data to a flash device. I have a Rosewill USB hub, but I don't think that would cause all my ports (even ports on the front of the computer) to somehow work with only 1.1 speeds.

Some info on my system:
Windows 7 Ultimate x64
Biostar TA790GX 128M Motherboard (http://www.biostar.com.tw/app/en/mb/introduction.php?S_...)

As far as I understand I should have an enhanced USB controller listed on my device manager, but no such device exists as shown here:

I have tried the following with no luck...

1. Updating all my drivers from the Biostar link listed above. I can't install the USB 2.0 driver controller listed (from 2008) as it just tells me "Device not found".
2. Disabling legacy USB support in my BIOS.
3. Uninstalling USB devices from device manager and rebooting.
4. I have a Windows update installed that could potentially fix this kind of issue, but it did nothing for me.

So I'm not really sure what the problem is. I don't know if it's a BIOS setting I have wrong (they all seem correct to me), or if Windows just won't let me install the right driver, or maybe it's a motherboard problem. I have no idea, and pretty much have given up on trying to solve this issue on my own.

More about : windows recognize usb

a b $ Windows 7
a c 716 V Motherboard
February 2, 2012 2:25:24 PM

In the BIOS, Load Optimal Defaults, save = Yes and reboot. You can try to toggle between Legacy USB Support -> Disabled / Enabled -- if you have a PS/2 keyboard (just in case).

After Load Optimal Defaults, you'll need to Uninstall ALL USB devices in Device Manager and those listed in the Universal Serial Bus controller tree, but only if you have a PS/2 keyboard, then reboot with no USB devices connected. Next, make certain the 'proper' aka 'latest' drivers are installed for ALL the USB devices and add (1) device at a time testing in between.

I've seen this problem before and it's a PITA to track-down.
Score
February 2, 2012 3:59:55 PM

Thanks, I did this and I now have two more USB controllers listed as "Standard Enhanced PCI to USB Host Controller", although I'm not sure if these are the controllers I need or not.

My mouse and external hard drive seem more responsive, but I'm still getting super slow speeds when transferring data from my front USB ports to a USB flash stick (only about 7.5 mbps!).
Score
Related resources

Best solution

a b $ Windows 7
a c 716 V Motherboard
February 2, 2012 4:23:41 PM

The "Enhanced" of "Standard Enhanced PCI to USB Host Controller" is USB 2.0. As far as the Flash Drive, it depends on the Flash Drive you have and the USB Headers used on your MOBO. If there's a significant difference in speed between the I/O (rear) USB Ports and the Headers then look at the MOBO and make certain BOTH the MOBO's Headers and the Cases (if applicable HUB) are USB 2.0.

February 2, 2012 4:34:58 PM

Thanks for the answers, was very helpful!
Score
February 2, 2012 4:35:17 PM

Best answer selected by joshwill80.
Score
a b $ Windows 7
a c 328 V Motherboard
February 2, 2012 5:41:19 PM

This topic has been closed by Nikorr
Score
!