Install graphics card

Tags:
  • Radeon
  • Graphics Cards
  • Graphics
Last response: in Graphics & Displays
December 29, 2010 9:16:30 AM

Guys

I'm a complete noob. Just bought Sapphire ATI Radeon HD5670 1GB DDR5. I have an Acer Aspire IQ4830 with a generic PSU. Questions:

• Between Corsair
  • 400CX and Coolermaster Extreme Power 500W, which is a better option. Prices are almost the same in India.
    Can I install the above myself? How complicated is it. Can you point me to a website which has a good tutorial. The ones I googled are not very comprehensive.
    Himesh
  • More about : install graphics card

December 29, 2010 11:40:19 AM

As the 500w one is the same price, go for that one so they you can use it longer.
    The swap is extremely easy, assuming there's room in the case for the card. I can't find your computer online, but I'll assume it's a small form factor. Make sure there's plenty of room for the card before you get it.
    Anyway, it's pretty much just taking out what's in there, putting in the new stuff, and turning the system on. Make sure to connect the extra power cable to the graphics card from the new PSU, and install the drivers for the graphics card before you install it. All you'll need is a screwdriver.
    m
    l
    December 29, 2010 12:20:47 PM

Before you remove the old PSU, look at the connections and their locations.

The connectors are all different. You do not mix them up into wrong places.

If your prospective PSU is modular, you have one 24-pin connector (main) and one 8-pin/4-pin connector (cpu) for the motherboard. You have one connector for the gfx card and several connectors for your drives (hard disks and DVD writers). These are usually attached to the PSU. You also have separate power cords. You can use them for a second gfx card, for case lighting, for more hard disks, etc.

That is it.
    m
    l
    Related resources
    December 30, 2010 3:37:59 AM

stingstang said:
    As the 500w one is the same price, go for that one so they you can use it longer.
    The swap is extremely easy, assuming there's room in the case for the card. I can't find your computer online, but I'll assume it's a small form factor. Make sure there's plenty of room for the card before you get it.
    Anyway, it's pretty much just taking out what's in there, putting in the new stuff, and turning the system on. Make sure to connect the extra power cable to the graphics card from the new PSU, and install the drivers for the graphics card before you install it. All you'll need is a screwdriver.

Thanks Stingstang . What I heard from somebody in another forum was that Corsair card is more efficient and deliver 30amps @400 W whereas Coolermaster Extreme Power delivers 18-20AMP @500W. This is the reason for looking at 400CX. What do you think?
    m
    l
    a b U Graphics card
    December 30, 2010 4:39:35 AM

corsair 400cx is very powerful
    cooler master xtreme power is not as powerful as corsair is..
    its not 80% efficient
    go for corsair 400cx
    m
    l
    a b U Graphics card
    December 30, 2010 7:30:03 AM

Perhaps you do not need a new PSU for the HD 5670.It would be better if you tell us the specs of your current PSU.
    m
    l
    December 31, 2010 5:07:54 AM

Thanks for the support, Guys. Based on your feedback, I bought the Corsair 400cx. The price in Mumbai was Rupees 2600/- (~USD 58). Both PSU and graphics card were installed successfully yesterday and working perfectly. This is the first time I looked at the innards of any sort of PC and the jumble of wires was quite intimidating. But at the end, it was a piece of cake. Maybe a full PC build next time ;-)

Tamz_msc, my current PSU was a generic 230W which came with the Acer. Don't think it would've taken the load.
    m
    l
    a b U Graphics card
    December 31, 2010 6:10:47 AM

Good to hear that you're satisfied.You made the right choice with the Corsair, since you might want to upgrade the GPU in the future.Good luck :) 
    m
    l
    December 31, 2010 9:59:06 AM

:cry:  Shucks - I thought that since the PC restarted after the installation, my attempts have been successful. The PC gods are not so kind to noobs, it seems. I have connected my monitor to the card and I'm getting a display. But even after installing the drivers from the CD, the card is not showing up in the Display profile. My daughter was trying to play some games today (which worked before the GPU install :o  )and it showed a message that a newer card is required. I tried to install some new games, it showed a message that it needed a card with DirectX9 support.

What do you guys think went wrong?
    m
    l
    January 1, 2011 3:14:50 AM

Tamz_msc said:
    Do not install drivers from the CD. Install them from AMD's website. http://support.amd.com/us/gpudownload/Pages/index.aspx

:bounce:  Yoohoohoo, it worked. Just installed the downloaded drivers and it worked. All games are working fine now :D  . Strange because most people had advised me to load drivers from CD and then upgrade. Thanks you very much, kind sir.
    m
    l
    !