Scanning once again...

It seems as both Tim and Sidewinder had typos. So I try to put together what look wel in my eyes:

Ship's scanner emits 41 scanner pulses. One before the start of the movement (at tick "0") and then every 5 movement phases
0,5,10,15,...,195,200

Basic formulas:

SP = (SI+EM) * (S/10+8)
PU = (1/40) * SP/1000 * (SR-DX)/SR
PI = PU/2

PI: Probability to identify one target with one pulse
PU: Probability to get an unknown contact from one target for one pulse
SP: Sensor profile
DX: distance between scanner and target at the time the pulse is emitted.
SR: scanner power
SI: Sensor image value of the nacked ship hull often also referred as to "warp signature" (WS)
S: Speed of the ship
EM: Sum of all noise sources

Custom sensor profiles (SP values):

Planetary System 4000
Ground Base 4 to 1320
Pod: Assault Pod 250
Pod: Gold Pod (Cloaked) 10
Pod: Resupply 200
Pod: Gold Pod 750
Pods ( All others ) 750
Wing Scanners Off 200
Wing Scanners On 800
Ships 0 to 30000
Minefield (Robot) 250 + (Minefield.radius * .5)
Minefield 150 + (Minefield.radius * .5)
Minefield Cloaked 20
Jump Gate 500
Wormhole 1000

Sensor profile modifier:

In Orbit Of A Planet X (0.2)
Gravitonic Accelerator X 3

Emmisions (EM):

High Power Scanner 30
Medium Power Scanner 20
Low Power Scanner 10
Planetary Scanner 2
Passive 0
Cloak -50
Transporters Active 25
Mind Crusher 25
Nanovirus 15
World Crusher 120
Tachyon Pulse 250
Running Lights 500
Privateer Hyper Jump 1200
Hyper Jump 200
Mine Sweeper 50
Birdmen sweepers 0
Cloaking Field -150

Simple example for an resting inactive Outrider:

SI=40, EM=0, S=0, SP = 40*8=320
With a speed of 11 one gets: 40*(11/10 +8)=364
Both values are shown up in the client.

If want want to check if this is correct then one have to setup a script with

- one scanner
- a huge number of identical objects at the same place
- choose a scanner power for the first and let the host run one turn
- then one counts the unknown contacts and the identified ships and compare them to the expected result.

A typical result for one outrider at mid range (SR=150) for 910 resting inactive Outriders at distance of 40 are

223 where identified (24,5%)
159 are shown up as unknown contacts (17,5%)
910 objects total

The chance per pulse that one ship will be identified or just detected is PU
So for 41 pulses we have of chance 1-(1-PU)^41 for at least being detected as unknown contact.
In the above case we have PU=1/40*320/1000*(150-40)/150=0,00587 and so 1-(1-PU)^41=0,214
These number are also shown up in ship calc. Unfortinately 910*0,214= 195 but we have 382 scan hits in the sim which is to much
to justify the parameters of the model or even the model at all.

So does anybody know what's going up here?

GFM GToeroe

Gabor Törö wrote:
> It seems as both Tim and Sidewinder had typos. So I try to put together what look wel in my eyes:
>

> Ship's scanner emits 41 scanner pulses. One before the start of the movement (at tick "0") and then every 5 movement phases
> 0,5,10,15,...,195,200
>
> Basic formulas:
>
> SP = (SI+EM) * (S/10+8)
> PU = (1/40) * SP/1000 * (SR-DX)/SR
> PI = PU/2

These formulas are wrong.
I know you copied what it says in the help
files but that is out of date.

This scanner formula changed when Tim fixed the laser
mines so that they would make ships visible.
If you recall at first the laser mines made ships visible
but no one would intercept the newly made visible ships
during the same turn that the laser mines exploded.

Then next turn they would recloak so no way to combat them.
So when brought to Tim's attention he modified the scanner
algorithm somehow so that these ships would be intercepted.

That second fix for the laser mines exploding to make cloaked
ship visible and interceptable is what changed the scanner formulas
so that what you see listed now in the help files is wrong.

Of course this was back some time ago like around host 175 or so.
It has been this way ever since. If you push for Tim to change this
back you will find the laser mines no longer decloak cloaked ships.

So now we do not know the new scanner formulas?

Well, it does not have to be that the formulas are wrong. This LMF fix
just has to do with a correct increasing of the SI and a
check if intercept is allowed due to the target's SI though the target
is cloaked.

So there ist a chance that the formulas are still active. What do you
say?

Do your tests and then you will be able to prove to yourself that the
formula
no longer works as it is listed. I did the same about 2 months ago.

Another interesting thing. It used to be the planetary scanners added
about
12 points of sensor noise when turned on. Now they do not. Except under
certain conditions then they do. Very strange behavior. That alone is
mathmatically impossible if the formula is correct. Try messing around
with
the Aczanny sparrow which has a zero warp signiture. use the formula to
explain how a zero can multiply times anything and give a value greater
than zero.
Yet it does.

"minime-hammer" <Dctr__Evil@hotmail.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag news:1117691329.376886.104310@g47g2000cwa.googlegroups.com...
Gabor Törö wrote:
> It seems as both Tim and Sidewinder had typos. So I try to put together what look wel in my eyes:
>

> Ship's scanner emits 41 scanner pulses. One before the start of the movement (at tick "0") and then every 5 movement phases
> 0,5,10,15,...,195,200
>
> Basic formulas:
>
> SP = (SI+EM) * (S/10+8)
> PU = (1/40) * SP/1000 * (SR-DX)/SR
> PI = PU/2

These formulas are wrong.
I know you copied what it says in the help
files but that is out of date.

This scanner formula changed when Tim fixed the laser
mines so that they would make ships visible.
If you recall at first the laser mines made ships visible
but no one would intercept the newly made visible ships
during the same turn that the laser mines exploded.

Then next turn they would recloak so no way to combat them.
So when brought to Tim's attention he modified the scanner
algorithm somehow so that these ships would be intercepted.

That second fix for the laser mines exploding to make cloaked
ship visible and interceptable is what changed the scanner formulas
so that what you see listed now in the help files is wrong.

Of course this was back some time ago like around host 175 or so.
It has been this way ever since. If you push for Tim to change this
back you will find the laser mines no longer decloak cloaked ships.

So now we do not know the new scanner formulas?

Sorry, nervous finger...

Gabor Törö wrote:
> It seems as both Tim and Sidewinder had typos. So I try to put together what look wel in my eyes:
>

> Ship's scanner emits 41 scanner pulses. One before the start of the movement (at tick "0") and then every 5 movement phases
> 0,5,10,15,...,195,200
>
> Basic formulas:
>
> SP = (SI+EM) * (S/10+8)
> PU = (1/40) * SP/1000 * (SR-DX)/SR
> PI = PU/2

These formulas are wrong.
I know you copied what it says in the help
files but that is out of date.

This scanner formula changed when Tim fixed the laser
mines so that they would make ships visible.
If you recall at first the laser mines made ships visible
but no one would intercept the newly made visible ships
during the same turn that the laser mines exploded.

Then next turn they would recloak so no way to combat them.
So when brought to Tim's attention he modified the scanner
algorithm somehow so that these ships would be intercepted.

That second fix for the laser mines exploding to make cloaked
ship visible and interceptable is what changed the scanner formulas
so that what you see listed now in the help files is wrong.

Of course this was back some time ago like around host 175 or so.
It has been this way ever since. If you push for Tim to change this
back you will find the laser mines no longer decloak cloaked ships.

So now we do not know the new scanner formulas?

On the other side...

it could be the case that these formulas even in the past were only the half of the full story. In earlier days I often wondered
that some times planets and unknown contacts were scanned far out of range of the scanners. The used formulas implicate a
definitely cut.

But at the weekend I will work it out, I swear...and also the taxing thing...

GFM GToeroe

Gabor Törö wrote:
> It seems as both Tim and Sidewinder had typos. So I try to put together what look wel in my eyes:
>

> Ship's scanner emits 41 scanner pulses. One before the start of the movement (at tick "0") and then every 5 movement phases
> 0,5,10,15,...,195,200
>
> Basic formulas:
>
> SP = (SI+EM) * (S/10+8)
> PU = (1/40) * SP/1000 * (SR-DX)/SR
> PI = PU/2

These formulas are wrong.
I know you copied what it says in the help
files but that is out of date.

This scanner formula changed when Tim fixed the laser
mines so that they would make ships visible.
If you recall at first the laser mines made ships visible
but no one would intercept the newly made visible ships
during the same turn that the laser mines exploded.

Then next turn they would recloak so no way to combat them.
So when brought to Tim's attention he modified the scanner
algorithm somehow so that these ships would be intercepted.

That second fix for the laser mines exploding to make cloaked
ship visible and interceptable is what changed the scanner formulas
so that what you see listed now in the help files is wrong.

Of course this was back some time ago like around host 175 or so.
It has been this way ever since. If you push for Tim to change this
back you will find the laser mines no longer decloak cloaked ships.

So now we do not know the new scanner formulas?

Ok, then I'm just challenged.

"minime-hammer" <Dctr__Evil@hotmail.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag news:1117720805.026296.38970@o13g2000cwo.googlegroups.com...
> Well, it does not have to be that the formulas are wrong. This LMF fix
> just has to do with a correct increasing of the SI and a
> check if intercept is allowed due to the target's SI though the target
> is cloaked.
>

> So there ist a chance that the formulas are still active. What do you
> say?
>
> Do your tests and then you will be able to prove to yourself that the
> formula
> no longer works as it is listed. I did the same about 2 months ago.
>
> Another interesting thing. It used to be the planetary scanners added
> about
> 12 points of sensor noise when turned on. Now they do not. Except under
> certain conditions then they do. Very strange behavior. That alone is
> mathmatically impossible if the formula is correct. Try messing around
> with
> the Aczanny sparrow which has a zero warp signiture. use the formula to
> explain how a zero can multiply times anything and give a value greater
> than zero.
> Yet it does.

TRENDING THREADS