Looking to build gaming/HT computer.

CSedl87

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2011
First off I would like to start off with what an amazing community this is! I'm excited to be apart of this group and look forward to meeting new people while finding an awesome solution of a computer!

I'm looking to build a system that will be mostly used for gaming, and video playback (streaming, DVD/Blu-Ray, etc). I'll most likely be hooking it up to my TV using HDMI.

The game that I really want to build this system for will be Battlefield 3. Between Frostbite 2 (destructible environments, beautiful new lighting system, same movement tracking used from EA sports etc) and what looks like some amazing graphics, I want something that will be able play it really well on a ~$1000 to 1200 budget. I plan on using Windows 7 for the gaming/media and Linux for surfing the web/downloads, etc....

Approximate Purchase Date: 2-3 months?

Budget Range:$1000 to $1200 before rebates.

System Usage from Most to Least Important: Gaming, DVD/Blu-ray, media streaming

Parts Not Required: Mouse, Keyboard, Speakers, Monitor/TV

Preferred Website(s) for Parts: I really like newegg.com, but don't care as long as they're reliable.

Country of Origin: USA

Parts Preferences: Intel core i5 2500k, but otherwise not brand loyal as long as they perform and are reliable.

Overclocking: Yes, looking to overclock the i5 2500k at ~4.0 to 4.4ghz.

SLI or Crossfire: Maybe. Depends on price vs performance.

Monitor Resolution: 720p - 1080p

Additional Comments: I don't mind spending a few bucks more for a something that is better, but has to have obvious performance improvements, but I wouldn't mind cutting some costs at the same time. Would like to have a relatively quite machine, with efficient cooling so I can overclock safely.

Parts I'm looking at buying:

Intel Core i5-2500K Sandy Bridge 3.3GHz (3.7GHz Turbo Boost) 4 x 256KB L2 Cache 6MB L3 Cache LGA 1155 95W Quad-Core Desktop Processor BX80623I52500K

ASUS P8P67 PRO LGA 1155 Intel P67 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard

Radeon HD 6870 1GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.1 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video Card with Eyefinity
(dont care if its gigabyte or any other brand, just whatever is cheapest at the time) Also thinking about doing CFX several months down the line when the card comes down in price.

G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model F3-12800CL9D-8GBXL

Western Digital Caviar Black WD1001FALS 1TB 7200 RPM 32MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive

CORSAIR CMPSU-750TX 750W ATX12V / EPS12V SLI Ready CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS Certified Active PFC Compatible with Core i7 Power Supply

NZXT Guardian 921 RB 921RB-001-RD Black SECC steel chassis ATX Mid Tower Computer Case

Total comes out to roughly $996, not including taxes shipping or rebates.

Any off the bat incompatibilities? Would the GPU bottle neck the CPU or vise-versa? Any place where I could step up performance wise with minimal price increase, or save money with similar performance or a negligible performance decrease? How about reliability with some minor OCing? New parts I should be waiting for, or buy now?

Thanks for the help!

Hello CSedl87;

Your list is looking OK for being 2-3 months out. Will it look as good in June?

The Corsair 750TX is being phased out and replaced by the 750TX V2. In 2-3 months you probably won't find any of the old 750TXs left in stock.

Bottle neck? What video resolution will you be gaming at? That 720p-1080p doesnt make much sense. Do you have a 1920x1080 monitor or something else?

Are there Battlefield 3/Frostbite 2 benchmarks available for us to check yet?

Video card. "just whatever is cheapest at the time" This can work for you with the other components as well. Cheapest & still good quality, or course.