ASUS P8Z68-V PRO/GEN3 power on issues

Status
Not open for further replies.

abiloukha

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2012
Put together a new system, started for the first time:
One case fan spun 1/8th of an inch and stopped, no other fans spinning. No beeps.
When connecting a power cord and turning the power on the PSU only (not starting the system), I see the "power" and "reset" buttons on the motherboard light up, then "reset" light goes out. Also LED's on ASUS nVidia GTX 570 light up and then go off. Then I try to power the system up via case button, this results in no movement of fans, no beeps, only "reset" switch on the motherboard lights up and stays lit. I also hear barely audible click of the PSU, and two LED's on the video card turn on stay on. And that's it, nothing else... Until I unplug from power, and try again, with the same result.

Tried everything: took out the video card, left only one RAM module, and absolute minimum connected to mobo, reseeded the CPU, took out the whole motherboard and put back into case reconnecting bare minimum - power, 1 and/or 2 memory modules, no video card, all with exactly same result.

The most frustrating thing is that I assembled *exactly* the same PC a few days back for my friend, and it worked like a charm from the first try, so I am positive I did not screw anything up connecting.

- Does this sound like a PSU DOA, since after I try to start the PC, there is no case fans movements or CPU fan moves, no beeps?
- Is it possible that Antec TruePower 650W would be DOA? Or is it more likely to be a motherboard?
- If you own ASUS p8Z68 motherboard with power and reset switches, what happens when you first plug the PSU in and mobo goes though low power init (while the system is off), does the reset button stay lit until you power the system up, or does it go off?
- Any other words of advice I could try troubleshooting (unfortunately I do not have an extra PSU to swap).

PC build:
ASUS P8Z68-V PRO/GEN3
Intel i7 2600K
16 GB Corsair Vengeance 1866 (4x4) CMZ16GX3M4X1866C9R
ASUS ENGTX570 DCII/2DIS/1280MD5 GeForce GTX 570 (Fermi) 1280MB
Antec 650W TruePower
Antec Performance One Series P183 V3

Solution
have you checked to make sure your CMOS jumper is still there? - this has stumped me with the same problem you're reporting

also, though im guessing you have checked this; are the power buttons wired up correctly?

Hope this helps

hilltopmonk

Distinguished
May 26, 2011
have you checked to make sure your CMOS jumper is still there? - this has stumped me with the same problem you're reporting

also, though im guessing you have checked this; are the power buttons wired up correctly?

Hope this helps

Solution

abiloukha

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2012

CMOS jumper still there, I tried resetting it a few times without any success...
Power button I think is wired up correctly, black is negative and colored is positive...

What happens with your on-board reset switch, does it stay on or powers off?

Status
Not open for further replies.