Activating SSD Caching on installed OS?

Status
Not open for further replies.

tanoosh

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2011
I'm six days working with my new rig and bummed that implementing SSD caching seems to require a total reload.

Is there anyway to implement intels Smart response Technology without reloading windows, drivers, and the 120 updates?

For instance, will I have a REPAIR option if:
a) change Sata setting from IDE to Raid
b) boot with WIN7 DVD in drive
c) install intel driver when Windows is up

I've tried the install 4 times. Sadly, I misread some of the posts and instructions and installed windows with the MSI Z68a GD80(G3) default settings (SATA=IDE) when I first brought up the PC.

when I read that I had to install AFTER changing SATA to RAID - I attempted to do so, but windows would not load off the DVD.

I used Iolo Drive medic utility on the HDD boot header. I restarted the process, changing sata to raid and doing a full clean reformatting install.
It worked.

However, AFTER the first 100 windows updates, the install of SP1, and the next 15 updates - without MY touching it - the SATA setting had reverted to IDE ! ! !
When I tried to change it back - I had no drive to boot to.

So is there a way to implement SSD Caching (intel SRT) AFTER windows and all updates are installed?

MSI Z68A GD80 (G3) - Intel i5 2500K - MSI 560GTX Ti Hawk, WD Caviar Black 1.5 TB HDD - Samsung 830 64gig SSD - Windows 7 Home Premium (retail)

PreferLinux

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2010
If it reset the SATA mode by itself, it it keeping other settings? Because that could be a faulty battery. Or more likely you exited without saving instead of saving and exiting. There is some registry key you can change so that it will boot when set to RAID/ACHI mode – do a Google for that. If Windows is installed on the HDD, you should be able to enable SRT without reinstalling – from what I remember from reviews, there are two options, one of which requires a reinstall, the other does not. But if Windows is on the SSD, I'm not sure if you can or not – is is definitely possible that you can, and if you can't it is possible to clone the partition from the SSD to the HDD.

tanoosh

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2011
Status
Not open for further replies.