Radeon 5870 HD causes slow PC

aarongrav

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2010
I am going from a Radeon 4870 HD to a 5870 HD, and now my PC is slooooow. It takes about 4 minutes to boot. I have an MSI x58 Platinum mobo with a 750W PSU. My processor is core i7 940, and I have 12 GB RAM.

When I go back to my 4870, the computer runs fine. I believe I may need to update my BIOS on my mobo, but I've never done that before and am a little nervous about doing so. I've tried looking for release notes for BIOS versions, but I can't find any...or at least any that identify this specific problem. Any ideas?

Thanks,
Aaron

sturm

Splendid
Did you completely remove the ATI drivers before inserting the new card? Yes you are keeping the same brand card, but the drivers can be different.
You also could uninstall the 4870 from device manager before you shutdown to install the new card.
It sounds like the computer still thinks the 4870 is installed and is looking for it until it times out.

aarongrav

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2010
I did uninstall the drivers before putting in the new card through the device manager. I didn't use driver sweeper, though, so maybe there's something that is still there...

The computer isn't timing out...it's just incredibly slow. I get no BSODs, no display adapter recoveries, etc.

aarongrav

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2010
I'm sorry, I forgot to put my system specs.

Mobo: MSI x58 Platinum mobo (not 100% sure on the BIOS version, but i have never updated it and received this mobo in December of '08)
CPU: Intel Core i7 940
PSU: 750W
RAM: 12GB Corsair
Graphics: HIS ATI Radeon 5870 HD

TRENDING THREADS