Your question
Solved

What CPU Temperature is reliable?

Tags:
  • CPUs
  • Core
Last response: in CPUs
June 2, 2011 3:25:47 PM

I'm currently using CPUID's Hardware Monitor, and I'm having trouble understanding the temperatures. On the motherboard section it shows the "CPU Temp" and "Aux Temp". Meanwhile, on the Intel Core 2 Duo E6600 section it shows Core #0 and Core #1 temperatures, and hear are the readings I'm getting while idle:

CPU Temp: 42 C
Aux Temp: 32 C

Core #0: 28 C
Core #1: 28C

My question is why is the CPU Temp so much higher than the core temps? Should I rely upon the CPU Temp or the Core temps? I'm not currently overclocking.

I'm using an EVGA 122-CK-NF68 Motherboard
Intel Core 2 Duo E6600
Xigmatek Rifle CPU Cooler
Arctic Silver 5 Compound

More about : cpu temperature reliable

Best solution

a b à CPUs
June 2, 2011 4:56:45 PM

core temps are more efficient, it shows a better core temperatures, you are using xigmatek cpu cooler thats why its 28c, 42c is pretty high temp with a cpu cooler, 42c is only possible if you are using stock cooler, thats why i think core temps gives you reliable temps.
a c 81 à CPUs
June 2, 2011 5:07:14 PM

42C temps are possible even with the best CPU coolers (considering only air coolers) when the ambient or room temperature is around that mark.. In this case though, the core temps are the one to be considered (which look absolutely fine btw).. The maximum tolerance temperature varies for every processor depending on many aspects such as manufacturing process, stepping etc..
m
l
Related resources
June 2, 2011 9:42:48 PM

Thanks for all the help
m
l
June 2, 2011 9:43:09 PM

Best answer selected by HydrogenHuman.
m
l
!