Mobo swap question

Status
Not open for further replies.

noidis

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2011
Okay so I'm planning on replacing my P67 mobo with a Z68 today. I've actually never swapped out a processor after its installed... So there are a few questions I've got to ensure it goes smoothly!

First: My CPU is OC'd. I have found the lowest stable vCore. I am pleased with my OC's on memory and the like... Can I carry these settings over and just plug them into the bios when I boot up? Or do I need to again go through the steps required to find optimal OC settings?

Second: What's the best way to store the old mobo? I'm planning on saving it for a later build, but I no longer have the bag it came in. Is it safe to store it in the bag/box the new one is coming in?

Third: Is there anything I'm not taking into consideration? Do I need to reinstall windows etc?

Thanks folks.

Solution
1) Document your old settings if you are pleased with them. But, you will have to set up your OC again. You have an advantage that you know what your chip will do, so apply that knowledge to your new motherboard.

2) Is there a reason why you are changing motherboards?\

3) Storing the old motherboard should be no problem. Even a paper bag would do, but since you have the wrapping for your new motherboard, that will do fine.

4) To make it easier to remove the cpu cooler, run your old cpu and motherboard so that it heats up and softens the thermal paste. That will make it easier to remove the cpu cooler without damage.

5) Protect what you must first, but I think windows 7 will start up properly on the new motherboard...
You may get away with changing the board without a fresh windows install; windows 7 is pretty good about swapping drivers. I would use an esd strap when handling the cpu/board/ram to ground yourself. You can place the board in the original box, but I would still look for an old anti static bag first. And the cpu doesn't remember the settings, the board does. You'll have to start fresh with any overclocking settings.

1) Document your old settings if you are pleased with them. But, you will have to set up your OC again. You have an advantage that you know what your chip will do, so apply that knowledge to your new motherboard.

2) Is there a reason why you are changing motherboards?\

3) Storing the old motherboard should be no problem. Even a paper bag would do, but since you have the wrapping for your new motherboard, that will do fine.

4) To make it easier to remove the cpu cooler, run your old cpu and motherboard so that it heats up and softens the thermal paste. That will make it easier to remove the cpu cooler without damage.

5) Protect what you must first, but I think windows 7 will start up properly on the new motherboard. Assuming it does, you will need to use the driver cd to update the chipset drivers.

6) Since there was a motherboard change, you will need to reactivate windows 7. No biggie if it was retail or upgrade. If the os was oem, be prepared to talk to MS and assure them that the os is being used on only one pc.

Solution
Status
Not open for further replies.