AMD x4 955 BE at 80 degrees !!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

TurkzZ

Distinguished
May 12, 2005
Ok, im having some issues with my AMD x4 955 BE, the temps range between 60 to 80 under load. Iv tested the temp under 3-4 diff programs and its showing the same results.

The Zalman VF2000 LED is my cpu cooler, and i have alot of HQ fans in the cas, two intakes at the front, two at the back, i mean every other component is in the 40's.

Performance wise im not experiencing any slow downs, play Starcraft on high for hours No problem, Mafia 2 etc. PC on most the day and the case doesn't even feel hot...

Now could it be possible that the temps are wrong, OR, is it a heatsink issue where i may of put too much paste on or something,

any suggestions be much appreciated, rather have a good idea of the issue before taking the PC apart. That Zalman is a b*tch to to take apart and reattach

TurkzZ

Distinguished
May 12, 2005
no no overclocking what so ever lol, 62 max, :S its always over pretty much, has been for 3 months or so, was find over winter lol, cold weather kept temps low i guess

TurkzZ

Distinguished
May 12, 2005
is this zalman one just crap, i cant have a high heatsink fan as the case is quite narrow, i can fit the stock one in....maby i should go with that instead?

or clean then reapply paste?

lowjack989

Distinguished
Oct 30, 2009
@amd655...Hes already got a cooler its just not attached correctly

@TurkzZ....It is not that the Zalman is crap hell even with stock cooling at stock clock it wouldn't reach these temps...Just lap it-->reapply some TIM-->reseat....done.

TurkzZ

Distinguished
May 12, 2005
iv tried multi programs, and the bios temps are same, im ganna go in and chekout the heatsink en stuff, clean and reapply paste, reseat heat sink and see what happens,

reckon i shud the pc 10 mins or so to let indsides cool down a bit?

lowjack989

Distinguished
Oct 30, 2009
Lapping is the process of sanding and polishing the HSF and CPU surface to get most of the imperfections out of the surface...it can be tedious...and it can be difficult for some people.

@amd655-->damn, cool your jets Turbo....I think he's gonna handle it.

@TurkzZ-->A layer of paste about the thickness of a piece of paper is all your gonna need...to much paste causes poor heat tranfer....it can also get all over the MOBO which if it is a conductive paste ...can ruin your board...ala "shorted"

lowjack989

Distinguished
Oct 30, 2009
this can also break the cpu if you bend any pins.
also a 955 does not need lapping for 3.2ghz

Where did you come up with the bending pins thing?....I hope the OP will take the time to research lapping if he deems it fit

If you want the best cooling possible lapping is the only way to go...It may or may not be nessacery depending on how out of wack the HSF surface is...CPU can be pretty botched up too...it just depends really...Just because he's at stock clocks doesn't mean that its got perfect surfaces....

lowjack989

Distinguished
Oct 30, 2009
Yeah...OK...I have lapped two and I have three unlapped right now....My lapped 965@4.1-->1.49v running a Corsair H50 also lapped never exceeds 47c under 100% load as per prime95...Whereas my unlapped 965@4.1--->1.5v with an unlapped Corsair H60 reaches a max temp of 54c as per prime95...So the proof is in the pudding, so to speak

BaronMatrix

Splendid
Dec 14, 2005

Sometimes, this happens if you use too much thermal paste. If you use too much it starts preventing heat transfer to the HSF. You should only use a small dot in the center of the CPU.

lowjack989

Distinguished
Oct 30, 2009
yes very true but i rekon its his thermal pasting badness lol

I concur.... :bounce:

Seeing as how he didn't crash out at those temps...Sensors could play role in this as well..I have seen some boards sending wrong temp reading....until I did a BIOS update...just a fore thought...amd655-->did mention it may be a sensor back up the page

Status
Not open for further replies.