External harddrive freezing my computer

twixie

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2012
As soon as even the tip of the external hdd plug touched the usb port, my computer will completly, instantly, freeze. If the plug just brushes against the back of the computer case my computer will freeze for a few seconds...
This external hdd works perfectly fine with my laptop though, and has previously worked with this computer..
(i'm not yet willing to try a system restore when it seems like a hardware issue)

Any ideas on what's happening? and how to fix it?

PreferLinux

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2010
OK, can you try the HDD in a different desktop computer? Sounds like the drive has some kind of issue with grounding the shield on the USB cable – if it was the computer being that sensitive, it would probably (but not necessarily) have had issues when you touched the port.

twixie

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2012
Unfortunetly i can't try it on another desktop.. all of my friends and family use laptops x-x only just noticed that after thinking about it xD

anything else i can try to fix it?

PreferLinux

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2010
Try plugging the USB cable into the computer before plugging it into the drive – if that is possible. Also, try plugging the computer into a different power outlet, preferably in a different part of the house. But the most likely solution will be to replace the power adapter for the drive – try a different adapter if possible (make sure it has the same output ratings and polarity).