Closed Solved

Case Fan Question

We know that 4-wire 12VDC case fans make use of PWM to control their speed, and that some motherboards can control the speed of 3-wire fans by varying the voltage to the motor. My question is, will a 2-wire fan also be able to have its speed controlled by varying the voltage? I realize the lack of a 3rd wire means there will be no tach feedback to monitor the speed.
9 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about case question
  1. Yes if you sre connecting it to a fan controller you will be able to adjust the speed and like you said you won't be able to monitor the speed.
  2. inzone said:
    Yes if you sre connecting it to a fan controller you will be able to adjust the speed and like you said you won't be able to monitor the speed.

Actually, I was refering to connecting it to the 3-pin CHA FAN connection on the motherboard. Most boards I've used with 3-pin CHA FAN headers vary the speed of 3-wire fans by voltage regulation. Since the 3rd wire is used for speed feedback, I was wondering if 2-wire fans would work the same (but no feedback).
  3. Yes. But you may have to disable the monitoring of the fan in the bios so you don't get warning messages.
  4. Good point about the warning msgs. Another thought... the 2 small 60mm fans have Molex connectors. Any problem plugging/wiring the fans together (in parallel) and then into one Molex to 3 pin fan adaptor?
  5. It shouldn't be a problem but you don't want to overload the motherboard connector so two would be the limit.
  6. Thanks for the advice. I'm planning a SFF gamer and the case in mind is the Thermaltake Lanbox with 2 60mm and 1 90mm case fans. I'd like to have the board's BIOS lower the fans' speed and noise when full cooling isn't needed. I really don't want to add a fan controller if I don't need to.
  7. Best answer
    There are a lot of different types of fan controllers and there are some that fit in the slot in the rear of the case instead of the front and is just a basic knob that you could turn to raise or lower the fan speed.
  8. Best answer selected by clutchc.
  9. This topic has been closed by Nikorr
Ask a new question

Read More

Motherboards Cases Fan