Sign in with
Your question

My First Computer Build (AMD $1500)

Last response: in Systems
March 3, 2011 2:48:11 PM

It's finally time to replace my Frankenstein of a computer with most of it's parts being seven years old.

I've never built a computer before, but I've learned a lot over the last 5 months. Any comments or criticism is welcomed. I've decided that I may wait for the new hardware to hit the market so that the prices on the items below drop a little. But i dont think im interested in the shiny new stuff since my needs are simple.

Budget: $1500
Intended Use: Gaming, Movies, Web Surfing (I intend to have multiple programs running behind the game or movie at any given time)

If i'm 100% satisfied with the performance without over-clocking than I probably wont. However I have been doing some homework to learn how. I may play with it for fun.

Build:

MSI 890FXA-GD65 $149.99 - I like spacing between PCI x16 slots and I will never exceed two graphics cards (I'm not sure if this board is 2x16 or 2x8)

MSI R6870 Twin Frozr II $224.99 - Looks cool and my board supports crossfire so I went ATI. I'm also hoping that there may be some benefit to having the same manufacturer make both the GPU and MB components. Two of these cost 446.99 before tax and shipping what would I need to out perform two of these?

Corsair 750HX $141.99 - Reliable/solid

AMD Phenom II X4 965 $159.99 - Practical price and performance

Corsair Dominator 8GB (2x4GB) $124.99 - I could get cheaper gskill but i like the stats and colors. I could fit 16GB in my budget is it worth it?

Western Digital Caviar Black 640GB (Sata 6.0Gb/s) $69.99 - sata 6.0 cheap

Lite-On Black 12X Blu-ray Burner $99.99 - I dont know much about players/readers

Windows 7 Home Premium 64-Bit $99.99

AZZA Hurrican 2000 $144.99 - big, usb3, black & blue, more fans that a Lowes warehouse. Any negative experiences with this case?

Total: $1216.91 (Before tax/rebat/shipping)

Blue & Black theme with metallic accents

As stated previously my budget is $1500.00 i could use a section monitor for dual among other misc components like coolers, card readers, etc...

I intend to buy within the month. I troll Newegg and Microcenter for my purchasing needs.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Anonymous
March 3, 2011 3:44:13 PM

This topic has been moved from the section Opinions and Experiences to section Systems by Grumpy9117
!