Nvidia GTX 460 problems!

eons

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2010
So, I bought this Gigabyte GeForce GTX 460 1GB OC Model name: GV-N460OC-1GI
The card is working perfectly itself but when I start a program example World of Warcraft or Counter Strike:Source the fan is getting a little louder all the time. After a while it goes on MAX and the floor is seriously shaking and I can hear it from the room next to mine. I've read lots of comments that the card is very quite etc etc. So what's the problem with mine?
Did a question to Gigabyte and got the answer that there's a new BIOS version out but I don't see how that can help really since the people go did the comments that the card is quite got their card before this new BIOS version came out etc.
However I tried to download the new BIOS version but it seems I need a program or something to open the file I got after unzipping it. I can't find any information about that what so ever.

So I tried this program GPU-Z and got the following results:
http://img213.imageshack.us/i/grahiccardtemperatureet.png/
I don't know so much about this but are there something special?

Edit: This is while running Starcraft 2 and when I took the screenshot the fans was VERY noisy.
Anyone knows when the fans are supposed to go max cause mine are going max at like 45 degrees celcius.

Would appreciate any help.
Best Regards

Sorry, but your GPU-Z screenshot shows your temp at 53c and your fan at 40%. Do you have one that shows your problem while playing games?

In general, I would check your case airflow and make sure you have the latest drivers installed from the Nvidia.com website. After that, you can download Afterburner to double check your fan speeds and temperatures. If the problem continues, you can then use Afterburner to set a custom fan profile, provided there is not a defect in your card.
http://downloads.guru3d.com/Afterburner-2.0.0-Final-download-2562.html

This is a link to NVFlash, that you can use to flash your BIOS, if necessary:
http://www.techpowerup.com/downloads/1824/NVFlash_5.95.0.1_for_Windows.html

eons

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2010
Here's the results from Afterburner while playing World of Warcraft
http://img267.imageshack.us/i/graficb.png/

Isn't there a bug related to StarCraft that affected this? Or am I recalling things incorrectly?

Afterburner shows your fan speed as 100%, however your GPU Temp is only 54C at Max. So there's no reason the fan should be jumping to 100%. Especially since your Max GPU Load was 67%.

Good news is, Afterburner allows you to set User Customized fan speed settings! (it's awesome!). You can use a little graph/chart to tell it what fan speeds to run at certain temperatures.

yanje03

Distinguished
Jul 26, 2010

you should open your pc case and check if any thing contributed this noise/vibration. To me it likes some fan hit the wiring. if not see any fan hit anything, it could be fan broken but it is very rare. Gigabyte 460 should be very quiet. I had 2 of them. not just check 460 fan, also please check CPU fan. OEM fan could easily hit the fan power wiring around it. make sure no CD in your CD driver. I only saw CD driver could make floor shake.

andy5174

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2009

+1

In addition, not very well ventilated cases can cause GPU fans of your gtx460's type to run at 100% easily. An external exhaust GPU fan will be better in this situation.

External Exhaust GPU fan type:
01G-P3-1373-AR_LG_1.jpg

eons

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2010
Thanks for all the help, can't check it out right now thought but yesterday evening I wen't afk for a while and when I came back I could smell something wierd from the computer almost like something burned so I opened it up but couldn't find anything wrong except the wierd smell from the graphic card.

Will take a closer look when I get home.

eons

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2010
So I made a profile with Afterburner and the fans goes perfectly now. I don't think it's that quite really but It's good enough! So I think the problem is solved.