Budget Decent HTPC

mike96sc2

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2010
Hello,
I am seeking some assistance in the building of my first HTPC. I guess it's best I start with my requirements / goals.

I'd like it to be able to run the following

Browse the web with ease while watching a movie or something else (I'm thinking I will need to go dual core for this)

Playback of blu-ray discs and content (I have the blu-ray drive for it already)

MAME, PSX, PS2, and Sega Saturn and Dreamcast Emulation. I know I will be best suited going 64 bit in running these.

I have a 2tb hard drive already so no need to spend money there.

Also, it will most likely run Windows 7 as I have an extra license from my family pack I purchased.

I would like to be able to secure the memory, case (something small, possibly with LCD), cpu and mobo (ideally onboard video w/HDMI, but that's asking a lot) for around $350-$450 at the very top. If I'm way too low then what's some ideas to get this as close to possible at my price point or what price point would I be looking at?

I know I'm asking a lot and I haven't built a computer in a long time so I'm trusting some experts here.

Also, does anyone recommend a good frontend for video? Ie should I use the Windows Media Center capabilities to do this?

Also if anyone has advise on a good frontend for Mame or other emulators that would be great too.

Any help would be great. I have decided to give up console gaming due to lack of time, but I would like to be able to keep some of my classics on hand for nostalgia purposes and this seemed like the best route to go.

Thanks in advance for any help. -Mike

For a media front end, check out Media Browser and/or XBMC. Read this thread (link) for some front end details.

XBMC is very customizable and can launch MAME emulators in a couple ways. One of which is the Advanced Launcher addon.

I'll admit I was selecting it for its excellent power supply.
What was so horrible about it? it didn't look all that different from other HTPC layouts

mike96sc2

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2010

I love it, I couldn't beat that deal at all. For curiousity sake though, would I be doing myself a huge disservice going with a lesser video card such as this?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814133356

I really like what I am reading about the Athlon II and the success people have had in unlocking the 4th core with the Mobo, I would certainly love to get lucky and be able to do that.

Stupid question here as well, for cooling needs any recommendations, especially on the CPU side, I remember I used to have an Athlon XP and I was always told those ran really hot, but of course I bought a CPU/Mobo combo with came with my cooling stuff already.