CPU destroyed, what else?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Olliepop

Distinguished
May 21, 2011
Hi there, this is my first self-built computer.

Motherboard: ASUS M4A88TD-M EVO3
CPU: AMD Phenom II X4 955 BE 3.2ghz
RAM: Kingston ValueRAM DDR3 PC10600/1333MHz CL9 2x2GB
HDD: Samsung SpinPoint F3 HD103SJ 32MB 1TB
PSU: Aywun A1-650E 650W
DVD: Lite-On iHAS524
CASE: Antec 300

A little while ago i made a thread about how my motherboard wasnt beeping without RAM. Because it didnt beep with the RAM in, i took the CPU out incorrectly - the heatsink pulled the CPU right out due to thermal paste. I did not check properly for damage - there may have been.

Today the RAM arrived. I put it in, the turned the computer on and instantly came a few incredibly loud pops lasting a few seconds. These may have come from the speakers -- not sure if that is possible however as the speakers are USB and the computer light did not even turn on.

I pulled the CPU out - incorrectly again, i could not find any other way - it just came straight out. One pin is broken and multiple bent. When i plug the computer in the motherboard PWR LED light will no longer come on.

So what i have to replace so far is the CPU and Motherboard. Is it possible for anything else to have been damaged? Can i claim warranty on the motherboard, if so how do i do it?

I am incredibly annoyed, and certainly will never take the CPU out ever again after it has been placed. A painful learning experience.

Any advice to share on what may have been damaged or what may have caused this if it wasn't the CPU? Just any information on anything at all will be helpful.

Solution

The best way to remove the heatsink is to turn the computer on and let the heat from the CPU soften the thermal compound, then gently twist the heatsink.

Wamphryi

Distinguished
It is unlikely that warranty will cover a board damaged by a incorrect CPU installation. It is also possible that other parts will damaged if the placement of the CPU caused a major short in the system which sounds like it may have occurred. The only way to be sure is to try the parts out in another board with a correctly mounted CPU that is in working order. It sounds like it would be best for you if you had the replacement parts professionally installed and the various components tested on installation.

The best way to remove the heatsink is to turn the computer on and let the heat from the CPU soften the thermal compound, then gently twist the heatsink.

No computer light (I assume you mean the power LED on the motherboard) indicates a problem with the PSU or the motherboard. And your PSU is of less than average quality.

The PSU may not work. And, no, you cannot claim warranty on the motherboard, not with the physical damage to the CPU socket. The physical damage was not a manufacturing defect.

CPU's are rarely the cause of a "won't boot" problem. At this point, you have damaged motherboard and CPU. And your PSU (possibly the original cause of the problem) may be defective.

Solution

Olliepop

Distinguished
May 21, 2011

Thank you for your answer. Yes the power LED light on the motherboard is off so it is either the PSU or Motherboard. I have emailed the store i purchased the unit from requesting a replacement, refund or store credit on the Power Supply. After some research, many users state that they saw smoke, visible damage or smelt burning -- i sensed none of these. Hopefully the other parts of my build are safe (RAM, DVD drive, HDD). I will check these however.

Status
Not open for further replies.