Sign in with
Your question
Closed

New Build questions

Last response: in Systems
March 3, 2011 5:37:29 PM

Hello folks,

After reading some threads in this forum I have narrowed it down to the following components for my new build. I wanted to get your feedback as well as to ask a couple of specific questions.
I will be using this build for gaming (mostly EQII 3-Boxing) and I want to be able to run all three at least at Balanced resolution with minimal or no video lag. I will also be using this setup for minor photo editing and normal school/office work (MS Office applications). My budget is around $1,700.

CPU: Intel Core i5-2500K Sandy Bridge 3.3GHz (3.7GHz Turbo Boost) 4 x 256KB L2 Cache 6MB L3 Cache LGA 1155 95W Quad-Core Desktop Processor BX80623I52500K
MOBO: waiting for the ASUS P8P67 PRO with B3 stepping MOBO
Case: COOLER MASTER HAF 922 RC-922M-KKN1-GP Black Steel + Plastic and Mesh Bezel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case N82E16811119197
Storage:
  • SAMSUNG Spinpoint F3 HD103SJ 1TB 7200 RPM 32MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive N82E16822152185
  • OCZ Vertex 2 OCZSSD3-2VTX120G 3.5" 120GB SATA II MLC Internal Solid State Drive (SSD) N82E16820227590
    PSU:CORSAIR HX Series CMPSU-850HX 850W ATX12V 2.3 / EPS12V 2.91 80 PLUS SILVER Certified Modular Active PFC Power Supply N82E16817139011
    Memory: 2X G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model F3-12800CL9D-8GBXL N82E16820231428 (16 GB total)
    Cooler: Noctua NH-D14 120mm & 140mm SSO CPU Cooler N82E16835608018
    GPU: MSI N460GTX CYCLONE 1GD5/OC GeForce GTX 460 (Fermi) 1GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Support Video Card N82E16814127510
    Monitor Hannspree By Hanns-G HF-259HPB Black 25" Full HD HDMI WideScreen LCD Monitor w/Speakers 400 cd/m2 3000:1 N82E16824262007 note: This monitor comes in a bundle with the GPU so I am not too attached to it but seemed a decent option. I want to run 2 monitors and the second one is an ASUS 21" which I already own (HDMI)

Questions:

1- Will this work for what I need and will it work well?
    2- Any changes that you would recommend
    3- Should I look at SLI with that card or single card will do the trick?
    4- I am not 100% sold on the case. I have read reviews that it may have troubles with the P8P67 so I need your expertise on this one
    5- Does anyone know if ASUS will be coming out with the P8P67 B3 stepping anytime soon?

Thank you all in advance for your time and input!
  • More about : build questions

March 3, 2011 5:43:13 PM

Sorry forgot to post the "must haves" for the thread

Approximate Purchase Date: 1 month

Budget Range: $1700 final

System Usage from Most to Least Important: Gaming, photo editing (minor), home office, school

Parts Not Required: Building an entire new system except wanting to use an existing ASUS 21" monitor as a dual monitor setup

Preferred Website(s) for Parts: newegg.com

Country of Origin: US

Parts Preferences: See list

Overclocking: Maybe

SLI or Crossfire: Maybe

Monitor Resolution: See statement about gaming usage

Additional Comments: Will be in my bedroom so I prefer something that doesn't sound like a train wreck, has good cooling, and doesn't have UFO Lights that will keep me up at night
    Score
    March 3, 2011 6:31:15 PM

Build looks great. Hopefully the revised P67s will be out in a few weeks tops.

Only thing I see is you are way overpowered. Even if you plan on adding another GTX460 for Sli you could get by with a 650w power supply. Especially if you stick with the Corsair HX series.
    Score
    Related resources

Best solution

March 3, 2011 6:49:06 PM

If you want to run surround, you'll need identical monitors if possible, same res and size at least if not.

It looks very weird once you start mix and matching monitors. Things won't match up and colors will seems off.

1. Yes it'll be fine, though monitor issue if you want surround.
    2. As mentioned above, PSU change. An xfx 750w Black edition is an excellent choice for $100 AR.

I'd also go with a GTX 560 instead. the 460 isn't gonna run everything at 1080p with eyecandy on.

OCZ vertex drives have been having some issues lately. OCZ in general has had a bad rep last few years due to their crappy RAM (they're now leaving the RAM buisness), customer support, and now the whole vertex 2 fiasco. I personally wouldn't recommend them anymore.

SSD wise, you could wait for the vertex 3 or another company's SF based SSD, intel Gen 3 drives would also be worth waiting for. You really don't need crazy sustained transfer speeds with a boot drive, despite every company emphasizing it. No one uses SSD's for mass storage outside enterprise, so that bench isn't really useful.

3. Go with a GTX 560 as mentioned above.

4. Case shouldn't have any issues. It's as large as most full towers so size isn't an issue. Any idea wat the complaints were about?

5. Your guess is as good as mine (or any else's for that matter)
    March 3, 2011 7:43:48 PM

@ anort3 That's a good recommendation and saves me some money (what's not to like :bounce:  ).

@ banthracis I checked the XFX Black Edition P1-750B-CAG9 750W ATX12V v2.2 / ESP12V v2.91 SLI Ready CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS SILVER Certified Modular Active PFC Power Supply and it's going for $99.99 after rebates (orig $159) so unless I hear a solid reason why not to go with I think that's the one.

Also I wasn't aware of the monitor issue. After your input I checked a bit and I can pick up a couple of ASUS VH238H Black 23" Full HD HDMI LED Backlight LCD Monitor w/Speakers 250 cd/m2 ASCR 50,000,000:1 for about $380. I may have to think about this one a bit further and maybe change my mind and end up picking up just one monitor like this Hannspree By Hanns-G HF-259HPB Black 25" Full HD HDMI WideScreen LCD Monitor w/Speakers 400 cd/m2 3000:1 for half the price. The real reason for dual screen is because I hate to alt+tab when I am multiboxing so having 2 monitors may work. Haven't really studied this so whatever you tell me it's new info for me.

I changed the GPU to this MSI N560GTX-TI Twin Frozr II/OC GeForce GTX 560 Ti (Fermi) 1GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Support Video Card which appears to have a nice cooling system and has decent reviews.

Quote:
    SSD wise, you could wait for the vertex 3 or another company's SF based SSD, intel Gen 3 drives would also be worth waiting for. You really don't need crazy sustained transfer speeds with a boot drive, despite every company emphasizing it. No one uses SSD's for mass storage outside enterprise, so that bench isn't really useful.

Not sure I follow you on this one. Are you telling me that I should not be looking at SSD just yet or at all? If for now then I guess I can stick with the Samsung and partition for OS and storage and then add SSD later. Thoughts?

Quote:
    Case shouldn't have any issues. It's as large as most full towers so size isn't an issue. Any idea wat the complaints were about?

You are right, I was confused with another case I was looking at. This case has some grounding issues that apparently may render front USB ports inop but doesn't appear is much of a deal breaker (82% 5 EGG)

Counting with the MoBO to be around the $180 mark and the changes listed I am at around $1,800 so close to target...until I get more feedback that is hehe :pt1cable: 
    Score
    March 3, 2011 8:26:26 PM

For the SSD, I meant you should probably not get a vertex 2. Wait a little bit and grab a vertex 3 or Intel Gen 3 SSD.

If you really want to build this now, then go with an Intel X25-M 120gb.

I'm not a big fan of newegg reviews. Half the people who complain about cases wired the thing wrong, half the people who complain about HD DOA bought an OEM drive and didn't format it. About 1/3 of the complaints are from people who didn't read the product description, or didn't read the manual.

Nvidia surround and AMD eyefinity basicaly turns multiple small monitors into 1 giant monitor. However, unless the monitors are identical, bezel correction won't work properly, and things won't line up if they're half on 1 monitor, half on another.

Also, different models and companies will have slightly diff colors, so if monitors aren't identical, the same exact color may look diff btwn 1 monitor and the next.
    Score
    March 19, 2011 10:11:56 PM

Sorry for not responding any earlier; I was on vacation :sol: 

Funny how you always think you start to understand things only to realize you knew nothing LOL. I was familiar with eyefinity and never knew the name of the Nvidia counterpart so thank you for that.

I had almost 3 weeks to think and now I am doubting some of the components, especially the video card. Some reviews go hot on 6950/6970 and others on GTX560 (both 2G). I guess it comes down to personal preference since I haven't seen any reviews that show that much of a performance jump on either (usually 3-5 FPS in some games).

Also the MOBOs are now listed as available but not available (Newegg is being weird about it). I narrowed it down to the MSI P67A-GD65 (B3) LGA 1155 Intel P67 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard so I will buy when available.

Any new input on the video card or MOBO is appreciated.
    Score
    March 30, 2011 12:25:35 AM

Best answer selected by vic243.
    Score
    February 23, 2012 8:55:25 PM

This topic has been closed by Mousemonkey
    Score
    !