Sign in with
Your question

Gigabyte Z68 or Asrock z68

Last response: in Motherboards
February 3, 2012 4:06:12 AM

Hello, I am currently in the process of building a new somewhat budget gaming computer, and I cannot decide between these two mobos.

Gigabyte : http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/ite...

Asrock : http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

The Asrock is 40-50 dollars more expensive ( I think I have a 10$ off promo for that Gigabyte mobo somewhere ), But I wanted to know what you guys thought of these boards. I've read reviews that seem to go both ways, and I don't really know what to think or which to buy. Is the Asrock a better performing mobo? Or is the difference in performance too miniscule to pay 40-50 extra dollars.

On top of this, what brand/speed of RAM should I buy? I know I am getting 8 GB, but someone on these forums told me that the lower the RAM ( 1333 > 1600 ) is better, or even if I should get RAM that is overclockable. Trying to save money, but keep a good performance.

Current Build:

i5 2500k
8gb RAM
XFX 6950 or XFX 6970
750W PSU
Rosewill Challenger U3
MOBO
a b V Motherboard
February 3, 2012 6:45:40 AM

Regardless of price, I would pick Gigabyte or ASUS over any other brand motherboard.
m
l
Related resources
a c 328 V Motherboard
February 3, 2012 7:56:31 AM

In this case I would do exactly what sosofm posted. Same board+the RAM.
m
l
February 3, 2012 3:54:24 PM

Gotcha. Motherboards have always been a really confusing piece of hardware for me, and I don't really get what makes the higher quality boards "better" per say. In a nut shell, can you guys answer this for me? Will the Asrock run faster, such as giving me more fps in games? My goal with this computer is to buy a rig that can run BF3 on ultra for as cheap as possible. Anti-aliasing not really included, 2x or so would be nice though :p . Will the gigabyte allow me to crossfire GPUs by the way? I know it has 2xpci16, but I've heard that some gpus that are larger cover up both of them.

As for the memory, these are the ones that have been suggested in the past:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Also sosofm, being almost 1/3 of the price that I'm spending, I'm trying to buy from XFX so that I have a lifetime warranty on my GPU xD. I do like MSI's cards, especially their twinfrozr line, but the 2 year warranty really scares me :/ 
m
l
February 3, 2012 4:26:57 PM

Sorry but I think those boards in that round up are a bit out of my ball park! $122 for the asrock extreme3 was about my max for the mobo, I was just looking to cut the price a bit so I could spend the money else where by considering the mobo. Speaking of the gigabyte, I was looking at pictures of it and on the board it says DX 10.1. Does this board not support directX 11 or is it referring to something else?
m
l
a b V Motherboard
February 3, 2012 4:41:15 PM

aha, i just saw the title and threw the link, didn't know you're limited by the budget.
m
l
February 3, 2012 6:53:31 PM

Mhm, feel free to give opinon though!
m
l
February 3, 2012 9:11:47 PM

I'm not planning on using any aftermarket cooling with the CPU, not off the bat at least, or are those holes useful with stock cooling?

Also does anyone know what that DX 10.1 thing is about on the Gigabyte board? I'm worried it isn't dx11 compatible or something.

So my main question for you guys is this: Will the Asrock provide much of a difference in the realm of gaming for me that it would warrant spending extra money on it? Or can I save 50$ by getting the gigabyte board, and still be able to play BF3 on ultra (or close to that).
m
l
February 3, 2012 9:57:47 PM

Alright, thanks much for clearing that up malmental. Can you give your opinion on the latter half of my last post?

"So my main question for you guys is this: Will the Asrock provide much of a difference in the realm of gaming for me that it would warrant spending extra money on it? Or can I save 50$ by getting the gigabyte board, and still be able to play BF3 on ultra (or close to that)."
m
l
February 3, 2012 10:29:21 PM

What would you suggest? You think the asrock is worth the extra money for future upgradability? I've also heard that the asrock will support ivy when those cpu's come out.
m
l
February 3, 2012 10:52:46 PM

Haha, I was hoping 122 would be max for me! I guess I'll leave this for last in deciding which to buy. If I have extra cash left over I'll go for the Asrock.

Would you mind shedding some light on what RAM to get? I've been told that G. Skill makes good Ram for gaming and is easily overclockable and I found these :

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Prod [...] 6820220570

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Prod [...] 6820231314

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Prod [...] 6820231428

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Prod [...] 6820220569

Someone earlier in this thread suggested Corsair Vengeance
m
l
February 3, 2012 11:35:38 PM

Check my first post after the OP, can't get them to copy right :( . Let me know if any of those are better, especially the cheaper one :p 
m
l
a c 328 V Motherboard
February 3, 2012 11:43:56 PM

hedshotx said:
Check my first post after the OP, can't get them to copy right :( . Let me know if any of those are better, especially the cheaper one :p 

If u want to copy the links from the post, use the BBCode.
m
l
February 4, 2012 12:14:48 AM

malmental: will those cheaper ones be able to OC at all like the ones you posted? or will they overheat or something?
m
l
February 4, 2012 3:01:29 AM

Sorry! Just didn't want to make a mistake thinking otherwise. Is it very strenuous on the RAM to overclock them to 1600. I can just buy retail 1600 if so.
m
l
February 4, 2012 3:57:44 AM

XMP is supported in those z68 motherboards as well right?
m
l
a c 328 V Motherboard
February 4, 2012 4:00:18 AM

So what mobo are u gonna get?
m
l
February 4, 2012 4:14:20 AM

Not totally there yet nikorr xD. Still ordering some of the last pieces of the puzzle like the PSU and GPU, after that I'm gonna see how much I'm OVERBUDGET :( . If it isn't bad, I might just bite the bullet and get the asrock. Chances are I will stick with the gigabyte though. Just makes me sad I won't be able to SLI nvidia gpus :/ . Can you answer me about the XMP profiling question?
m
l
a c 328 V Motherboard
February 4, 2012 4:26:49 AM

hedshotx said:
Not totally there yet nikorr xD. Still ordering some of the last pieces of the puzzle like the PSU and GPU, after that I'm gonna see how much I'm OVERBUDGET :( . If it isn't bad, I might just bite the bullet and get the asrock. Chances are I will stick with the gigabyte though. Just makes me sad I won't be able to SLI nvidia gpus :/ . Can you answer me about the XMP profiling question?

ASRock Z68 Extreme3 Gen3 - Supports IntelĀ® Extreme Memory Profile (XMP)
m
l
a c 328 V Motherboard
February 4, 2012 4:28:18 AM

GA-Z68AP-D3 - Support for Extreme Memory Profile (XMP) memory modules
m
l
February 4, 2012 4:33:36 AM

You guys are the bomb. I'll let you all know what I decide when I buy them! Probably be this weekend since the cpu case and monitor all came in and I don't want them sitting around unused :p .

Thanks again all of you.
m
l
a c 328 V Motherboard
February 4, 2012 4:45:12 AM

With Gigabyte u will get free Norton Internet Security (OEM version) : )
m
l
a c 328 V Motherboard
February 4, 2012 4:46:00 AM

ASRock has 2yrs warranty

Gigabyte has 3yrs warranty
m
l
February 4, 2012 5:00:42 AM

Where did you see the bit about the Norton free OEM version? You seem like you are trying to persuade me to go with the cheaper board ;) .

Also I thought it was general consensus not to use Norton :p 
m
l
February 4, 2012 5:13:06 AM

So you think I should go with gigabyte mobo I take it? ;) 
m
l
a c 328 V Motherboard
February 4, 2012 5:23:20 AM

I like Gigabyte, but ASRock is ASUS, I like ASUS too.

But the price is great and u are on the budget, it will allow u to get better PSU.

Its hard to stay on the budget, but u decide on what u want to afford.

It would be bad if u would be deciding on poor parts, but here u were advised to get just decent parts, from what I could see, so that is good.

Remember, mobo + PSU are the most important parts for the stability of the system.
m
l
February 4, 2012 5:28:49 AM

I'm getting a pretty decent OCZ 750W PSU that was recommended on a Toms sticky somewhere around here :p . You think that the gigabyte mobo is just decent though compared to the asrock?
m
l
a c 328 V Motherboard
February 4, 2012 5:33:00 AM

hedshotx said:
I'm getting a pretty decent OCZ 750W PSU that was recommended on a Toms sticky somewhere around here :p . You think that the gigabyte mobo is just decent though compared to the asrock?

PSU price is?

Read this review...
http://www.hardwarelook.com/reviews/asrock-z68-extreme3...
m
l
February 4, 2012 5:37:46 AM

Oh, so you mean the gigabyte isn't as good as the asrock. Do you think the gigabyte is mediocre in general though?

Also, PSU price is onsale from 110 to $100, then has a 25 dollar rebate, and you also get a 20 dollar new egg gift card that I can use for other parts :) 

m
l
a c 328 V Motherboard
February 4, 2012 5:48:40 AM

hedshotx said:
Oh, so you mean the gigabyte isn't as good as the asrock. Do you think the gigabyte is mediocre in general though?

Also, PSU price is onsale from 110 to $100, then has a 25 dollar rebate, and you also get a 20 dollar new egg gift card that I can use for other parts :) 

Sounds like great deal on the PSU.

IMHO, if they both would cost the same, $120 I'd go for the ASRock because the board is modern and has a great reviews.

I would go for the Gigabyte because it is a solid board and proven brand. And it has price, that is much better than the ASRock.

So I would go for the boards, for different reasons. They are both good.

m
l
February 4, 2012 6:07:47 AM

Good to know I have more approval on the OCZ unit :) . Those wordy reviews like at techpowerup are so hard to follow sometimes haha. The 8.1 looked good though!

And yeah, like I said, if I have the money to spend on the feature and future proof asrock, I'll definitely end up going that way. From the looks of how things are billing, I don't know if I will though :(  Let you know this weekend!
m
l
a c 328 V Motherboard
February 4, 2012 6:13:11 AM

Good luck!
m
l
February 6, 2012 2:15:53 PM

I'm still waiting on a gift card of mine to come in so I can order the asrock most likely, but there's a z68 on sale today on newegg, I was wondering if you guys could take a look and let me know what you think. Doesn't support pcie 3.0, but from what I can tell that is it. Take a look and tell me whatcha think!

m
l
February 6, 2012 3:14:45 PM

Do I not want micro? Newegg is having a deal on it for probably about half price today, that's why I was wondering about it.
m
l
February 6, 2012 4:06:26 PM

Urgh. So back to the drawing board. Should I get this board or the asrock. Both have 3.0 usb and pcie, but the micro will only allow me to crossfire without any other pci expansions? Is that the only difference between them?
m
l
February 6, 2012 4:42:50 PM

You still think I should stick with the asrock or cut a few bucks and go micro with the gigabyte?
m
l
February 6, 2012 6:10:25 PM

It's really just going to be a gaming rig and used to comp sci school work. Not sure if there will be any additional pci additions that I'll have to add for school, I really doubt it though. If anything it will just be via USB most likely.

With that said, the only pci cards other than GPUs that I would consider adding would be possibly an internal wifi card, and maybe a card to add additional USB ports in case I do need more connections. That is all though. So one or two if that.
m
l
February 6, 2012 8:17:49 PM

I've decided on a 2gb 6950, possibly getting a 2nd one if some price drops happen. Could the micro atx handle that? Resulting cards would be:

6950 (maybe 2x xfire)
wifi pcie
usb pcie

btw do you know if the gigabyte microatx will support ivy bridge? perhaps with an update or something?
m
l
February 6, 2012 10:40:50 PM

Alright, thanks for letting me know malmental! You think it would be okay though for 2 gpu's and one extra card though?
m
l
February 6, 2012 10:48:49 PM

Ugh :(  I don't really know what I'm looking for with motherboards, so I think maybe I should just stick with the asrock unless you know some suggestions off the top of your head.
m
l
February 6, 2012 11:03:24 PM

Sketchy reviews :/ . What does it mean when it says PCI 2.0x16: 2(x8, x8) ?
m
l
February 7, 2012 12:02:35 AM

Is that short for you think I should just go with the asrock atx? haha
m
l
!