Real Temp big spread on q6600

Katsushiro

Distinguished
Apr 4, 2008
Yeah, old processor; let's get to the meat.

mhf5u9.gif

Why is my spread of temps so high? I've been able to run overclocked during winter months, but I need to slow it down for the summer because I'm afraid I'm cooking my chip ( keep it <72C which I'm way exceeding in core 0). Common sense is telling me that *surely* I don't really have a 10c temp spread across the chip (spread remains even when idling) so *surely* some of the temperature sensors are fairly out of calibration. So how do I determine what the actual temp of the chip is so that I can overclock to the limit, but not past it?

Somewhat related: I'm using a Hyper TX2 CPU Cooler with Arctic Silver 5 paste. My NZXT Silent/Hush case has 2 diddly fans (1 in 1 out) so my case is a little warm.

venjhammet

Distinguished
Dec 4, 2009
With those 2 fans only I think you're not having a good air flow inside the case. Also how much vcore did you applied on that cpu? Your cpu cooler is good enough to handle that heat, maybe you should check if it's seated properly. The hyper 212 is much better.

Katsushiro

Distinguished
Apr 4, 2008

Yeah my case isn't the best. I took the side panel off and it drops max temps 5C. I'm thinking about getting the Antec DF-85 case for my next build (which may be Ivy Bridge??).

But still, why the large difference from core 0 to core 2 (10C)??

Edit: CPUZ telling me VCore is 1.336 V

sportsfanboy

Distinguished
The cores on that chip can be 5 to 7c off, the rest is most likely how you installed the fan. Remember not to use too much Thermal compound, too little or too much can make temps higher than they should be. What's the ambient temperature in the room when those temps were read? have you tried to tweak down the voltage?

Remember, the Q6600 is two dies (CPU0 & CPU1 and CPU2 & CPU3) sort of "glued" together in one LGA775 package.

Increasing airflow through the case, if possible, will help a lot.

The 77 C is too high. You need to keep the load temps at no more than about 70 C.

The 10 C difference between the 2 dies is not too unusual.

I have a Q6600 OC'd to 3.6 GHz, vcore is 1.425 volts, Xig Dark Knight cooler, Antec 900 case (better than average cooling characteristics). Load temps are 61 - 66 C. A 5 or 6 C difference between dies seems to be about average for a Q6600.

Katsushiro

Distinguished
Apr 4, 2008
Room ambient is probably ~85F.

So you're telling me that in order to be safe I have to ensure that my core 0 (highest readings) is 70C max? I was hoping I could average that down with my other core readings so I could push temps a little more. Bummer.

I've had the cooler on and off probably 3 times now. I even did a half-assed job at lapping the cooler's base. The last time I put it on I researched thermal compound application (specific to Core 2 Quads) and tried to follow it as best I could.

Oh, and I can't get my mobo much past 1400 Mhz FSB so 3.2 GHz is as fast as I can get my Q6600 :(

leon2006

Distinguished

What case do you have ? You need to circulate more air (in and out) of your case. It will bring down your CPU temp.

Katsushiro

Distinguished
Apr 4, 2008
Thanks all for your input.

Looks like the two line method worked best. I remember using a one line method. Perhaps I have a core without any paste?

Katsushiro

Distinguished
Apr 4, 2008

Haven't reseated the cooler or downclocked/volted yet... After looking at that link its likely I didn't use enough thermal paste and I have a core not getting cooled well.

I'm having too much fun OCing my HD 5850 now that I found a utility to take me past 775 Mhz core: AMD GPU Clock Tool.

Thankfully the cooler on the GPU is not designed to run 100% on stock clocks, so it can keep an OC chip cool with a little extra fan dialed in.

</thread hijack>

Anyone else notice how used 5850 prices are rising lately? I think its due to the Bitcoin craze because it's basically the best card to mine with.

<//thread hijack>