PSU - Corsair TX650w loud sudden click.

manmango

Distinguished
Jan 5, 2011
I just installed my new PSU Corsair TX650w to my below rig after my Arctic 700w died.
MB: Asus P5QL-E
CPU: Q6600 @3.0ghz
Ram: DDR2 Dominator 6GB OC@1333mhz
GPU: Palit 460GTX 1024mb Sonic Platinum
Case: Antec 300

I loaded up all fine, updated my GPU drivers. Browsed some forums, loaded up a game was running fine for about 30 minutes at the very least and then it suddenly shut off with one lound CLICK. The clci kwas exactly the same as a plug socket being flicked off. I assumed it was a safety feature and it had achually flicked off at the back. Upon flicking my switches to get it going again I noticed the MB light was not on so no power was coming through at all. I tried a different socket and cable to no improvement. I did the paper clip test in the green cable and black cable but didnt get the PSU fan spinning.

I expected more from corsair to be honest but was I am asking is:
Has my PSU just blown right away?
What could has caused this?
What could the click sound have been?
Oh crap am I likely to need a new MB now?

venjhammet

Distinguished
Dec 4, 2009
It could be your psu, might be defective. But if you can try borrowing some other psu just to make sure your mobo is fine that would be a good idea too. Corsair psu are mediocre product as a matter of fact I'm using one (Corsair TX750) and it's new just a week old. Try Seasonic or XFX and the Silverstone those are excellent product.

manmango

Distinguished
Jan 5, 2011
hmm yeah, just tried my old PSU (which doesnt boot but does carry power to the mobo) and I got the mobo light come on... 30 minutes old and already dead. Now I have to wait another couple of weeks without a PC.

yeah, you do get a faulty psu even from the best manufacturers. You know all sorts of things happen in transport, psu's get thrown around in their boxes, possibly exposed to unknown humidity/temperature. So dont be one of those people who will automaticcally diss a particular brand just from 1 bad experience when it may not even be the manufacturers fault. Since you have 2 psu's that have died recently it may be worth thinking about the cause....you may have a short circuit somewhere in your system. The click sound could have been a fuse or other circuitry blowing.

If your Corsair is a TX V2, it, like the XFX units, are also made by Seasonic.

The original TX750 line was a solid, much better than average, product capable of producing 20% over rated power (900 watts) while still staying within specs.