Sign in with
Your question

Connecting a Wireless Router to Another Without a Cable:

Last response: in Wireless Networking
October 11, 2010 8:08:11 AM

Greetings,

I've been searching Google all day for an exact answer, and answers have been bouncing between these forums, and other sources. I also noticed some of the posts were at least 5 years old, so I'm not sure if technology has changed since.

The basic idea is that I want to repeat a wireless router's signal to another wireless router in order to extend the signal. Half of what I read required that I hook up both routers together with the use of an ethernet cable; is this the only way?

I was hoping to use one router as a "mid-point" between the two...so for example, my first router would be on the first floor, with the second router on the second floor, in order to extend the range for the computer in the third floor. You can see how messy this would get if I actually used an extremely long cable cord; so my question is would it be possible to simply just "bounce" the signal from one to the other wirelessly and then up to the computer?

Thanks for your help!

October 11, 2010 8:54:33 AM

I guess you hear about "bringing" - How about this you have a router on the first floor, on the second floor you have an access point getting signal from the router(1st floor) then another access point on the third floor. Another way there are extenders at are available search for them.
m
l
Anonymous
October 11, 2010 10:34:33 AM

dEAne said:
I guess you hear about "bringing" - How about this you have a router on the first floor, on the second floor you have an access point getting signal from the router(1st floor) then another access point on the third floor. Another way there are extenders at are available search for them.

"bringing"??? Do you mean "bridging"? The OP would need a wireless range extender.
m
l
Related resources
Anonymous
October 11, 2010 10:52:43 AM

"I want to repeat a wireless router's signal to another wireless router in order to extend the signal. Half of what I read required that I hook up both routers together with the use of an ethernet cable; is this the only way?"

It's tempting to try this using old routers but it'll only work with routers if both support WDS and preferably both are of the same brand.

Perhaps better, as posted above, to use purpose built access points or signal extenders.
m
l
October 14, 2010 8:12:14 AM

Hey guys, I bought a Netgear Universal Wifi Extender after reading good reviews about it:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

I went ahead and purchased at a local Best Buy that had this item for sale. I've been able to get this to configure and work flawless on my friend's mac, but when we try their PC, Dell-based XPS Laptop it connects but gives us a 'local access only' connection.

I check my primary router/gateway's list and it has both system listed, but the Dell is unable to receive internet access while the mac is. Both are situated exactly one room across the hallway and downstairs.

I've been scratching my head over this all night and have yet to come with a solution; since they are both situated at the same location, it's not a probability of signal strength. My only guess is that the wifi card in the Dell is weaker than the one in the Mac?

For additional information, the Dell *is* running Windows Vista and I've heard about problems associated with wifi and Vista, and have tried a number of fixes including disabling IPV6, editing the registry and so forth.

Any suggestions or tips? If you need additional info I can provide that as well, thanks!
m
l
!