4 sticks vs 2 sticks in Dual Channel

ibangcolors

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2010
Which one would be better? 4 sticks or 2 sticks in Dual Channel memory? (4x4GB or 2x8GB) I used to think that if you had all 4 ram slots filled, you would take more advantage of the dual channel memory, but I did some research and I heard people say that it is slower compared to running on 2 sticks because it gets processed faster. Thanks in advance!

I'd go 2x8GB and also less sticks, less room for the bad stick.

What Windows do u have?

The speed is visible only through benchmarks, nothing that u will be able to ever notice in real life : )

ibangcolors

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2010
I'm currently running windows7 x64 bit. I did some research and heard people say that the more slots are filled, the more strain it puts on your memory controller and the harder it will be to overclock. Also, right now the 4x4GB kits are cheaper than the 2x8GB kits, but the 2x8GB kits have a higher CAS latency compared to the 4x4GB kits. So I'm kind of in a debate right now.

windows7 x64 bit what? Home or Pro....what version?

Nothing u will be ever to notice, that ...and the harder it will be to overclock.

How far are u going to OC? Beyond 5GHz, maybe it will be to overclock there, but less than that, no problem.

ibangcolors

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2010
Windows 7 Ultimate.

Will the frequency of the ram play a factor in that or no?