Lucidlogix and iGPU question

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ilsyde

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2012
Hello everyone,

This is quite a strange forum, the search function only finds results in articles and news. I'm 100% sure that these questions have been asked before so feel free to point me towards a guide or thread if you know any. Thank you!

I recently bought an Asus P8Z68-V LX m/b and would like to know what the deal is with the integrated graphics processor (iGPU) and the seamless VGA transition technology (Lucidlogix).
The BIOS doesn't offer any options for enabling or disabling the built-in graphics processor. I can assign some memory (128MB is the maximum for some odd reason) but that's about it. Windows 7 64bit doesn't see the iGPU in Control Panel > System so if I'd like to use it, do I need to install the Lucidlogix driver first? What if I remove my VGA (Asus Geforce GTX 560 Ti) because it dies for example - how can I force the m/b to use the iGPU as a primary video card? Is it enough to just remove the Geforce from the PCIe slot and all is good?

About Lucidlogix: After reading a number of articles on this subject - which had near zero information, some benchmark diagrams and useless marketing babble - it's still not clear to me how this works. Apparently, there are two modes: i-mode and d-mode.
The Asus manual suggests using d-mode (doesn't exactly tell you why though) which means connecting the monitor to the actual card and not to the integrated GPU. After the Luclidlogix software has been installed, the graphics card will only be used for demanding directx applications (e.g. games) and the iGPU will take over when browsing the net or watching videos.
According to some articles however, they both work together. No idea which information is correct.

If I understand this right, the iGPU will seamlessly take over from the video card and forward the image to my monitor using some unexplained magical pixie dust - since the monitor is not connected to it at all in d-mode. Then when I start a game for example, the Geforce card will kick in.

I'd really appreciate it if any of you could answer these questions because I'm quite confused at the moment. Thank you for reading!

Solution

U need to add the programs that u want to use it with in the list. And enable it in the BIOS.

Its OK for me, as the temps went down 4F when GPU card is not working.

I need to...

Ilsyde

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2012
Apparently I'm not allowed to edit my own post.

I found a few answers for my questions. The i-mode makes the iGPU the primary graphics processor, the d-mode does the opposite (making the VGA primary). Which means that the former is useless.
Lucidlogix is supposed to force the iGPU to take over from the VGA when no directx applications are running. I'm not sure what the integrated video card is capable of with - according to BIOS - only 32MB of memory? :heink:

Still couldn't find out whether the integrated graphics processor can be used without a VGA. There are no options in the BIOS to disable or enable the iGPU and Windows 7 doesn't recognize it as a hardware. What would happen if the Geforce 560 died?
In theory, the iGPU can run basic applications but if it doesn't show up in Windows 7 as a graphics adapter then I'm not sure how that would work.

machasm

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2012
The onboard graphics should be showing up as a display adaptor in device manager.
At least it is on my rig and I am using a 6850 as well.
Both cards show up in device manager.
The onboard gfx is useful if you are doing and video transcoding and uses intels Quick sync.
Mac.

U need to connect the mobo HDMI/DVI/VGA to the monitor and install the driver.
And keep it connected that way, if u want to use the Lucidlogix.

Than install your GPU and use another cable and connect it to the monitor and GPU.
Yes, u need 2 wired connections to let the system to be able to switch. Most of the time it will be running the iGPU in the CPU.

Ilsyde

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2012
Thanks guys!

I managed to find the answers after digging around for days. The documentation is really poor or even controversial but the bottom line was that in d-Mode, Virtu will only switch from discreet VGA to the iGPU if it picks up an application that's been added via its client.

Basically, it's impossible to force Virtu to use the iGPU in Windows for menial tasks such as watching videos or browsing. It will always use the discreet VGA, except when transcoding video - which I never do, therefore Virtu and iGPU has absolutely no use to me.

U need to add the programs that u want to use it with in the list. And enable it in the BIOS.

Its OK for me, as the temps went down 4F when GPU card is not working.

I need to catch the problem when it wakes up, it goes to GPU and I don't see the iGPU desktop.

Solution

Ilsyde

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2012
That's my biggest gripe with Lucidlogix.

In i-Mode the PC uses the iGPU at all times. However, you can add games to Virtu and it will switch from the iGPU to the discreet VGA when you start one of those. However, in-game fps takes a hit.

In d-Mode the PC uses the discreet VGA at all times. In-game fps is not affected and you can add applications to Virtu in order to force it to switch to the iGPU when no games are running. Therein lies the problem. I want my PC to use the iGPU, except when playing games. But that's impossible in d-Mode since you need to add all non-game applications to Virtu.

I already sent a letter about this issue to Lucidlogix but got no answers so far.

Status
Not open for further replies.