Closed Solved

Geforce 9800 gx2 blank screen / no boot

Hello, Installed a Evga 9800 GX2 in my new computer (HP). It won't boot. the Onboard video does boot. The Graphics card worked in my old system. My Power supply is 650 watts. try reseating nurmerous times
11 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about geforce 9800 blank screen boot
  1. do you use the onboard as primary and does you computer could use the 9800 gx2
  2. scout_03 said:
    do you use the onboard as primary and does you computer could use the 9800 gx2


    I turn off the onboard graphics card. I going to test a different card to see if i have problem with the card.
  3. Try the other DVI output. Only one will display anything prior to the display drivers being loaded by the OS.
  4. I think i did switch between DVI. I will try again (Jan 29Th)
  5. Thanks for the replys. I put in a GTX 275 Card and it worked first time. I guess the Nvidia 9800 GX2 Card would not work in this system. I put the 9800 GX2 into an older sytem and it worked. I think the problem was with the Bios of the HP motherboard which detects a video card in the PCI slot an switches off the onboard Video card. So Case close.
  6. khhigdon said:
    Thanks for the replys. I put in a GTX 275 Card and it worked first time. I guess the Nvidia 9800 GX2 Card would not work in this system. I put the 9800 GX2 into an older sytem and it worked. I think the problem was with the Bios of the HP motherboard which detects a video card in the PCI slot an switches off the onboard Video card. So Case close.


    I monitored this topic, because i wanted to see it solved. And IF you say "case closed", why you didn't select the best answer (solved it).. :non:

    EDIT: typo
  7. First guess PSU.

    GX2's do so love their power.

    650W is definately on the wimpy side for my taste.

    I run mine on a nice stable voltaged 2kw.
  8. Best answer
    Dreamwind said:
    First guess PSU.

    GX2's do so love their power.

    650W is definately on the wimpy side for my taste.

    I run mine on a nice stable voltaged 2kw.


    :non: Wrong.

    The power consumption of a graphics card is the sum of two powers:
    the PCI-Express X16 power: up to 75W
    PCI-Express power supply connectors:
    up to 75W for the 6-pin version
    up to 150W for the 8-pin version

    So the max theoretical power consumption of a card can’t exceed 75+75+150 = 300W. So, the 650W are very good to have. Amps are important to, but almost all psu's have enough Amps to power one graphic card.

    2000W psu is pure overkill, every bird knows that.

    9800 GX2 consume a maximum of 260 Watts. And personally i would never use this old power hungry trash. There a cards that consume much less power and are much faster than this one. Thats my taste.

    AND AGAIN khhigdon CLOSE (solve) THIS POST! :fou: This is my last entry here, don't bother to argue, i won't respond. :pfff:


    EDIT: typo
  9. Best answer selected by khhigdon.
  10. I was out of pocket. sorry that i didn't pick a best answer! I agree that the power consumption for the card is no were near the 650 watts. I 450 watt power supply should be fine.


    Sorry
    Ken
  11. This topic has been closed by Mousemonkey
Ask a new question

Read More

Nvidia Boot Hewlett Packard Geforce Graphics