Tags:
  • Antec
  • Fan
  • Power
  • Components
  • Product
Last response: in Components
June 3, 2011 1:19:08 AM

Just got an Antec Kuhler H20 620 Liquid Cooling System, to cool my new i5 2500K rig I'm building next weekend.

I am going to set up a push-pull fan set up thru the radiator, using my existing case fan and the one included in the kit. (My case is an Antec Three Hundred, with all fans). Each are 120mm, but the case fan is a Tri-Cool unit (e.g. adjustable fan speed via a switch from the fan).

My question is about the power connections from the 620 unit.

According to the manual, you should plug in the fan to the pumps power line, then the pump into a CPU fan header.

However, I read elsewhere, that you should always plug in the pump to a PWR fan header form the mobo, getting 100% power to the pump at all times.

I have enough fan headers, and can plug each thing into a fan header on the mobo:

2 x fans into 2 x CPU fan headers, with fans set on high (where appicable).
1 pump into 1 PWR fan header.

Or should I plug the pump into a PWR fan header, the supplied fan into a CPU fan header, and the pull fan fans into a molex connector from the PSU?

Or?

More about : antec kuhler 620 fan pump power set

June 8, 2011 1:45:04 AM

foscooter said:
Just got an Antec Kuhler H20 620 Liquid Cooling System, to cool my new i5 2500K rig I'm building next weekend.

I am going to set up a push-pull fan set up thru the radiator, using my existing case fan and the one included in the kit. (My case is an Antec Three Hundred, with all fans). Each are 120mm, but the case fan is a Tri-Cool unit (e.g. adjustable fan speed via a switch from the fan).

My question is about the power connections from the 620 unit.

According to the manual, you should plug in the fan to the pumps power line, then the pump into a CPU fan header.

However, I read elsewhere, that you should always plug in the pump to a PWR fan header form the mobo, getting 100% power to the pump at all times.

I have enough fan headers, and can plug each thing into a fan header on the mobo:

2 x fans into 2 x CPU fan headers, with fans set on high (where appicable).
1 pump into 1 PWR fan header.

Or should I plug the pump into a PWR fan header, the supplied fan into a CPU fan header, and the pull fan fans into a molex connector from the PSU?

Or?

This is an interesting question for me as well because I have set up the fan and Kuhler exactly as detailed in the Antec instructions. My problem is that the fan does not change speed ever -- regardless of temperature. I'm not sure why. Clark
Score
June 8, 2011 5:15:59 AM

After further research, the motherboard I'm gonna use (Asus P8Z68-V Pro) has 2 x 4-pin CPU fan headers.

The pump/fan combo plug in the kit is only 3 pin. So, I COULD plug this into a PWR fan header, which is 3-pin. This means everything would run at 100% power all the time. I also know that I could still plug the 3-pin connectors into the 4-pin header w/o problems.

But, to use the 4-pin CPU fan header(s), I need to get a (couple) PWM fans, which have the 4-pin connector. I read and understand what the difference is for these fans.

But these fans are over twice the price of what I got.

Anyway, is PWM worth it? I need to know very soon.

Also, I have a similar thread here.

And another thread here.
Score
Related resources
June 11, 2011 4:18:47 AM

The reason yours is like that, is because the connectors on this cooler are only 3-pin connections.

3-pin run at 100% at the time. the 3rd pin is to show you fan speed. No control unless you get a PWM fan.

See my links for further info. I solved them.

Score
June 11, 2011 4:33:05 AM

This topic has been closed by Mrface
Score
!