Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Do I need a PSU upgrade?

Last response: in Components
June 3, 2011 1:20:45 AM

Hello Tom's Hardware! I am planning on installing some new hardware to my PC. The computer itself is about 3 years old but the power supply was replaced last December. Here are the specs:

Lenovo 3000H 210

Antec Basiq 430W PSU

Currently installed:

-2.2 Pentium Dual Core
-Radeon HD 4650 1GB
-4GB Ram (2 sticks)
-WD HDD Caviar Blue 500GB
-6 total USB 2.0 ports, 4 currently used (3 dongles, 1 iPod)
-"OEM" fans and disk drive

Want to add:

-WD 500GB HDD Caviar Black

-Creative Labs SB0880 PCI Express Sound Blaster X-Fi Titanium Sound Card

-PCI Express to SuperSpeed USB 3.0 2-Port Expansion Card (NEC/Renesas Chipset) which will be connected to a WD 500GB USB 3.0/2.0 External Hard Drive

-Cisco-Linksys WMP54G Wireless-G PCI Adapter

-Extra fan

eXtreme Power Supply Calculator gives me a rating of 373W with ALL of the above listed. Would love to hear what you guys think. Also would appreciate any upgrade suggestions if needed.

More about : psu upgrade

Best solution

June 3, 2011 1:33:08 AM

Are you sure you did that correctly? I ran through it real quick with 2 hard drives, 4 120mm fans and everything else you said. I even swapped the chip for a b3 Q6600 that uses more juice. It came to 343, I think you'll be fine. If your going to upgrade to a powerful gaming video card,then you might need an upgrade.
June 3, 2011 1:45:06 AM

sportsfanboy said:
Are you sure you did that correctly? I ran through it real quick with 2 hard drives, 4 120mm fans and everything else you said. I even swapped the chip for a b3 Q6600 that uses more juice. It came to 343, I think you'll be fine. If your going to upgrade to a powerful gaming video card,then you might need an upgrade.

No, I do not plan to upgrade the graphics card. I do game but nothing the card cannot handle. No overclock either, just a simple desktop. I ran the numbers again and same rating. I will take your word for it though, thanks for answering my question and peace of mind!
Related resources
June 3, 2011 1:54:10 AM

Np, don't forget, that is total system draw while gaming, using 6 usb devices, and everything else, which you probably wont be doing concurrently, Good luck.
June 3, 2011 4:16:29 PM

Best answer selected by cpunoob77.
!