Can my computer enjoy the HD 6970?

ionjohn

Distinguished
Mar 31, 2010
Hello

I would like to change my gigabyte HD4890 for a HD 6970 but i want to know a few things before doing it, i want to know if my system can take it, i have a i5 750 with a P7P55D LE (if u have to know something else let me know), i also wanna know if it's a good choice, where is the best dealer to buy a gc from and the fastest (knowing that i'm in canada)

Thanks for replying

I use a 6970 (modified 6950 to 6970 specs to be honest), and it works great at 1920x1200. Crysis and Metro 2033 are the only games that really push me atm, but even Crysis is playable at max settings, and Metro 2033 I have to use medium + x4 AA.

Your resolution is only slightly smaller.

Nope, you install it the same as any other PCIe card, except you plug in one additional plug, just like your 4890.

If you are unsure how it's supposed to look when it's finished, look at your current card. For directions, I'd do a google search on how to install a graphics card. It's actually quite easy.

Did you put the computer together? Did you purchase it prebuilt, or had it built for you? There should be a reseat or box that would let you know what it is. However, if it's running a 4890 and is crossfire certified, it's hard to imagine it wouldn't have the power. I've never seen a crossfire PSU with out at least 650 watts.

The sticker with the info is likely on the side not visible.

Oh, I should have asked you to look at the 6 pin connecters you currently have. Does one have a little 2 pin connecter not being used dangling off to the side? If so, you just use the 2 pin connecter with the 6 pin connecter already plugged in to form an 8 pin connecter.