Laptop Cannot Boot/Start At All

Last response: in Laptops & Notebooks
a b D Laptop
April 2, 2005 11:17:02 AM

Hi All,

My friend has an Acer laptop running Win XP Pro/NTFS. It encountered a
Blue Screen Of Death, after which the laptop can no longer startup. We
have no idea if it's a hardware or software problem.

- When the power button is pressed, the power indicator lights up
briefly
- the hard disk whirls for a second
- the DVD-ROM drive indicator also lights up briefly
- the Windows XP Splash screen is not displayed
- cannot access BIOS or Safe Mode
- not sure if the Win XP Pro CD is bootable, but putting it in the
drive doesn't work
- no floppy drve, so cannot test boot disk

Has anyone encountered this before? Does anyone have any advice on
this?

Thanks in advance for your help/advice.

Jack

More about : laptop boot start

Anonymous
a b D Laptop
April 2, 2005 8:15:21 PM

Hi Jack... Wow! This doesn't sound good! Does the display show anything
at all? Also the computer should have a series of beeps, if it finds a
problem during startup. Although when everything is okay, there should
be just one beep.

The only thing I can suggest to you right now, is to try booting up on
AC without the battery. As the battery could be bad and loading the
supply down.

Cheers!

Bill (using a Toshiba 2595XDVD & Windows 2000)
-- written and edited within Word 2000

Date: 2 Apr 2005 07:17:02 -0800

Hi All,

My friend has an Acer laptop running Win XP Pro/NTFS. It encountered a
Blue Screen Of Death, after which the laptop can no longer startup. We
have no idea if it's a hardware or software problem.

- When the power button is pressed, the power indicator lights up
briefly
- the hard disk whirls for a second
- the DVD-ROM drive indicator also lights up briefly
- the Windows XP Splash screen is not displayed
- cannot access BIOS or Safe Mode
- not sure if the Win XP Pro CD is bootable, but putting it in the
drive doesn't work
- no floppy drve, so cannot test boot disk

Has anyone encountered this before? Does anyone have any advice on
this?

Thanks in advance for your help/advice.

Jack
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
April 3, 2005 12:37:24 PM

Hi Bill,

Thanks, and you're right, it sounds really bad. No display at all -
just a black screen. No beeps either. We've tried using the AC adapter
too, so it's not the battery.

My guess is that something inside blew, maybe the processor.

Oh well, guess it's time to send it to the professionals and let them
figure it out.

Cheers!
a b D Laptop
April 4, 2005 3:52:24 PM

Try reseating the RAM and clearing the CMOS batt.. Doubtful it will
help but RAM is commonly failed and swap the mods, Try running on one
stick etc.. If you need more help just yell as we could look at it fo
you.
April 10, 2005 4:18:42 AM

On 3 Apr 2005 08:37:24 -0700, jackc wrote:

>Thanks, and you're right, it sounds really bad. No display at all -
>just a black screen. No beeps either.
>
>My guess is that something inside blew, maybe the processor.

Even if the processor is bad there should be some beeps.
No beeps at all should indicate either a bad mainboard
or malfunctioning power supply.

If you can you should test the power brick with another
unit or borrow a battery from another identical machine.

Lars
Stockholm
http://web.telia.com/~u84406120/
!