Canon 300d -- sensible renaming of images

Last response: in Digital Camera
February 7, 2005 7:29:17 PM

My boss is having trouble keeping track of his images -- he uses the
camera/scanner wizard to download from a card reader, but the filenames end
up out of order. I seem to remember a utility which I bought years ago to
download from my Olympus, with a lot of naming options, including a
date/time stamp, which I think he needs.
What are his options?
Anonymous
February 7, 2005 7:29:18 PM

In article <igBNd.15627$mo2.1230019@news.xtra.co.nz>,
"OnTarget" <ontarget@ontargetttt.com> wrote:

> My boss is having trouble keeping track of his images -- he uses the
> camera/scanner wizard to download from a card reader, but the filenames end
> up out of order. I seem to remember a utility which I bought years ago to
> download from my Olympus, with a lot of naming options, including a
> date/time stamp, which I think he needs.
> What are his options?

Doesn't the Canon software have a selector to preserve or rename the
files? I don't like using it, but I seem to recall that being a feature.
Anonymous
February 7, 2005 7:29:18 PM

OnTarget wrote:
> My boss is having trouble keeping track of his images -- he
> uses the camera/scanner wizard to download from a card reader,
> but the filenames end up out of order. I seem to remember a
> utility which I bought years ago to download from my Olympus,
> with a lot of naming options, including a date/time stamp,
> which I think he needs.
> What are his options?

Assuming your boss is using one of the recent versions of
Windows, it is not necessary to use any wizards to download his
images. The card reader will appear as a disk drive to the
computer. Typically, this will be e:, f:, or g:, depending on
what drive letters are already in use. But when you find it, it
will always be the same one unless a new drive is installed in
the computer.

I find the easiest way is to copy is from a DOS box.

The steps are:

1. Open a command prompt window ("DOS box").

2. CD to wherever you want the images to go.

3. Change drives to the card reader and CD to the images.
e.g.,
e:
cd DCIM
cd 100CANON (or whatever directory is there)

4. Move all the files, e.g.,
move * c:

You can do the same thing in Windows Explorer with point and
click, drag and drop.

One thing your boss needs to do, if he hasn't done it yet, is to
set the camera to continue image numbering and not reuse the same
numbers over. The manual says how to do it.

It's kind of a shame how many intelligent people find it
difficult to cope with reading simple technical manuals. Some
people have a psychological hangup with it. But if you can
gently encourage him to be study his manuals and become a bit
more computer and camera literate, his effort will be rewarded
with better photographs and an easier time handling them.

Alan
February 7, 2005 7:29:18 PM

OnTarget wrote:
> My boss is having trouble keeping track of his images -- he uses the
> camera/scanner wizard to download from a card reader, but the
> filenames end up out of order. I seem to remember a utility which I
> bought years ago to download from my Olympus, with a lot of naming
> options, including a date/time stamp, which I think he needs.
> What are his options?

Perhaps the program was PIE - Picture Information Extractor

http://picmeta.com/

David
February 7, 2005 7:29:18 PM

OnTarget wrote:
> My boss is having trouble keeping track of his images -- he uses the
> camera/scanner wizard to download from a card reader, but the
filenames end
> up out of order. I seem to remember a utility which I bought years
ago to
> download from my Olympus, with a lot of naming options, including a
> date/time stamp, which I think he needs.
> What are his options?

My freeware utility DIM : Digial Image Mover, will address this problem
for you.
DIM can be downloaded from: http://www.alanlight.com/dim/Dim.htm

Enjoy!
Anonymous
February 7, 2005 7:29:19 PM

Certanly with my Canon (just a litle ixos 400) it at least dates and times
every shot taken at the camera's end !! sequential numbering of images , I
doubt you could completely overwrite that as you could get in a right mess .

I do always move the cf card to another reader seperate from the camera if
that makes any diference.

Just cut and paste the images into a new folder that you name each time ,
and individually rename and resave images in any viewer.

!