stevie44

Distinguished
Nov 4, 2009
here's my specs: Gigabyte GA_MA785GM-US2H MOBO
4GB DDR2 800 MHZ RAM
ATI HD 4670 GPU
ANTEC 430 PSU EARTHWATTS
ANTHLON X2 2.4 CPU

I want to upgrade to an x4 955 black editon. I'm open to upgrades, but can only buy one part at a time. Due to budget limits. I got two kids to support. Antec shows me at 370 watts with this new x4 955 BE. The mobo site shows it under the cpu support option. I want to get into a Phenom II with the L3 cache. I have another pc with a Anthlon 640 propus x4. A good bargin chip I know. Just want some advice on Phenom II's and have seen other Phenom's on Newegg that aren't black edition that may work too. The 955 forums some say it runs hot with stock cooler. So willing to upgrade the cooler down the road too. Open to any and all advice on this upgrade. But for sure want to get into a Phenom II x4 cpu.

Thx, Steve

theDanijel

Distinguished
May 4, 2011
955 is the best choice, even with a stock cooler it can overclock easy (specialy with an unlocked multiplyer). With the stock cooler I keep it clocked at 3.6 GHz, haven't seen any heat problems and my PC runs almost 24-7.

stevie44

Distinguished
Nov 4, 2009
which mobo revision is that? and if you wanted you could go for a phenom II x6, but a phenom II x4 would be your best bet. the 955 is great, if your not planning on overclocking it, then the stock cooler should keep tempretures down just fine. although if you are planning on overclocking you should consider an aftermarket cooler.

whats your current case size, it would help us in looking for a CPU hfs.

Sorry wasn't getting emails showing had replys to this thread. This is revision 1.1 board. This was for gaming mostly.

Micro atx case, old hp pc. I got the 955 today from newegg and coretemp is showing 42 to 47 just surfing the web. I used mx-2 thermal paste, just the pea size method. I had old x4 althon and never hit 40 degrees even when gaming. Any advice for cooling this down. This is my third cpu ugrade and thought had the thermal paste thing down from watching youtube vids, or is this just the norm, for this 955 cpu. Thanks.

stevie44

Distinguished
Nov 4, 2009

Sorry wasn't getting emails showing had replys to this thread. This is revision 1.1 board. This was for gaming mostly.

Micro atx case, old hp pc. I got the 955 today from newegg and coretemp is showing 42 to 47 just surfing the web. I used mx-2 thermal paste, just the pea size method. I had old x4 althon and never hit 40 degrees even when gaming. Any advice for cooling this down. This is my third cpu ugrade and thought had the thermal paste thing down from watching youtube vids, or is this just the norm, for this 955 cpu. Thanks.