Sign in with
Your question

Monitor not working

Last response: in Components
June 3, 2011 3:05:12 AM

Hi, I'm trying to get an old Gateway 2000 desktop to work again.

When I turn on the computer, the monitor screen stays blank and there is no single beep from the speaker like it used to. The hard drive runs and the lights come on on the floppy and hard drive, as well as the power supply fan. There is no fan on the PC, just a big heat sink. :)  Ah the good old days.

I read an article on breadboarding and so removed all the cards and two memory sticks. When I turned it back on I got a long beep which from what I read means there is no memory. I put the memory back in and then got a long beep followed by two short beeps. This I understand to mean there is no video card, so I put the video card in and turned the PC back on and got no beeps at all. Ah ha I thought, the video card is bad. Got a second hand video card ( S3 Virge 4 Meg.) and put it in. Same result no beeps and no working monitor.

I checked the monitor on my current PC and it works fine.

I have checked the power supply and all the voltages seem good. ( Gray 5.08V, Orange 3.42V, Red 5.1V, Yellow 12.07V,
Blue -12.18V, Violet 5.07V

I've also tried reseting the cmos by removing the battery( reads 3 volts) and by moving the plug from nrml to clr to try to clear the cmos.

What do you think is the mother board bad?

Brian Williamson

More about : monitor working

June 3, 2011 3:41:14 AM

what is the motherbaord have VGAonboard , try in VGAOB
what is default card like The graphics card of a Gateway 2000 computer is an AccelGraphics Permedia 2 AGP 8MB Video Card 8MB
and spec your second card. s3virge..?
m
l
June 3, 2011 10:24:37 PM

henydiah said:
what is the motherbaord have VGAonboard , try in VGAOB
what is default card like The graphics card of a Gateway 2000 computer is an AccelGraphics Permedia 2 AGP 8MB Video Card 8MB
and spec your second card. s3virge..?

Hi henydiah,

Thanks for the reply. I believe the motherboard is an Intel AA 666860-407, it does not have on-board video.

The graphic card is an STB Velocity 3D Virge 4 Meg.

I got an exact replacement of the video card I have in the Gateway, I have tried the card in all of the PCI slots with no success.

Because I got a continuious beep with no cards in and then one long beep followed by two shot beeps I assumed the mother board is ok, now I'm not sure.

What do you think? Is there any way I can test the mother board?

Brian Williamson

m
l
Related resources
June 4, 2011 3:08:19 AM

that ... different support is your problem, and you cannot use S3virge in your motherboard , just get VGA AGP !

your mobo support AGP : The AGP bus is faster and "wider" than the PCI bus, meaning you can carry more data to the graphics card in a shorter amount of time. This allows for higher detail games to be played more smoothly. and your card (s3Verge PCI) : use PCI BUS
m
l
June 4, 2011 4:28:46 AM

Do you know the second card is in good shape?? I suppose you could try to get an AGP card and try it as they are more easier to find....
m
l
June 5, 2011 12:51:17 AM

henydiah said:
that ... different support is your problem, and you cannot use S3virge in your motherboard , just get VGA AGP !

your mobo support AGP : The AGP bus is faster and "wider" than the PCI bus, meaning you can carry more data to the graphics card in a shorter amount of time. This allows for higher detail games to be played more smoothly. and your card (s3Verge PCI) : use PCI BUS

After looking at the chipset, which is Intel's SB82440 I think I have tracked down that the motherboard is a VS44FX motherboard.

Don't know if this helps.

m
l
June 5, 2011 12:56:45 AM

asbshyam said:
Do you know the second card is in good shape?? I suppose you could try to get an AGP card and try it as they are more easier to find....

The supplier said that they tested the board before shipping it to me. One can only trust that they did.

Do you think it could be the motherboard? It gave a long beep when I pulled all the cards and when I put the memory back in it changed to one long beep and then two beeps. THen when I put the video card in the beeps stopped. Mind you just because it beeps does not mean that the motherboard is ok, or does it?

Brian Williamson
m
l
!