My first htpc... actually my first self built PC

xpuffin

Distinguished
Mar 4, 2011
Hello,

This is my first time building a pc. I want to put together something for my living room that will mainly be for music and hi-def movies, but can also handle some moderate-light gaming when my girlfriend isnt looking (apparently I spend too much time on 360 already so Ive sold the idea of a mainly media pc to her) . I live in Japan and will be ordering most of my parts from a company called Dospara as they have the best prices. Unfortunately there is no newegg here. Also, do to the restrictions of my apartment, it has to be wireless. Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks for your time,

ASUSTek Intel Scket LGA1155 μ-ATX P8H67-M EVO

Intel CPU Core i5 i5-2500 3.3GHz 6M LGA1155 SandyBridge

Silver Stone HTPC GRANDIA SST-GD04B

MSI NVIDIA N460GTX Cyclone 1G OC/D5

Crucial RealSSD C300 64GB

Western Digital Caviar Green 3.5inch 5400rpm 1.5TB 64MB

TV tuner card

silverstone nt-01 cooler

PSU (any recommendations?)

Approximate Purchase Date: Beginning of March

Budget Range: 1100 dollars (I have some room to go higher but Im aiming to stay below this)

System Usage from Most to Least Important: watching movies, streaming video, gaming, internet browsing.

Parts Not Required: keyboard, mouse, Monitor (Ill be using my Aquos flat screen)

Preferred Website(s) for Parts: dospara.com

Country of Origin: Japan

Overclocking No

SLI or Crossfire: Maybe

Monitor Resolution: flatscreen TV

stingstang

Distinguished
May 11, 2009
Well, if it HAS to be an HTPC, then I guess you have little choice with that case. Keep in mind that if you have that heatsink, you will not have enough room to fit an optical drive, and will need to use an eternal solution.
For a PSU, I would highly suggest a modular type (one that allows you to attach only the power connectors you need(for extra case space)) at or above 500w.
It looks like there's enough room for everything else, from what I can see of display pictures and reviews.
I can't read that site you're buying from. This computer won't translate.

xpuffin

Distinguished
Mar 4, 2011
Thanks for the advice! I have no idea about PSUs so thats really helpful. Im not stuck on that case, its just roughly the size that will fit into space I have. If there is another that you recommend that would be great. Its the depth requirement that I find myself stuck on The other cases I have found, all seem to be kinda big. To be honest, Im willing to spend more on the case if need be, I was even looking at this thing for a while

http://www.origenae.co.kr/en/htpc_s14v.htm

but I couldnt quite bring myself to spend much on the case, not that I could cause its not available in Japan so far as my internet searches and trip to Akihabara could tell. So yeah, if you another idea for a horizontal case and I can find it here Im happy to try it!