Sign in with
Your question

Laptop won't start..help!!

Last response: in Components
June 3, 2011 5:13:08 AM

I was just watching a show on netflix when some message appeared saying my laptop was gonna shut down because of I don't know what; it happened so fast&out of no where. So it shut down, I can turn it on but it won't go past the Samsung screen (I have a samsung q430 laptop btw). I don't hear anything running either..pls tell me this is fixable!! Thanks

(sorry if I didn't post this in the right category..wasn't really sure)

More about : laptop start

June 4, 2011 9:15:19 PM

What operating system are you using?
m
l
June 4, 2011 9:58:50 PM

Also, was it a blue screen, or a popup?

If it was a popup, it might be a virus preventing you from correctly booting your computer.

If it was a blue screen, it might be heat-related (in which case you only need to let it cool down for a bit and pay more attention not to block air vents in the future) or a piece of RAM (or even the HDD) that came loose (in which case you just have to re-seat it - and yes, I've had my HDD come loose a couple of times before).

Worst-case, the GPU (or IGP, or chipset) bit the dust, meaning new laptop needed :( 

Oh, I just remembered: I once had an Asus notebook (F3E-based) that randomly crashed, no apparent reason. Turns out, the Kingston memory module the reseller installed as a freebie, while perfectly OK, was incompatible with that laptop model, and the incompatibility ranged from 100% OK operation to random lockups to 100% inability to power the laptop up. Go figure...

Good luck.

Miguel
m
l
!