ASUS P5E3 Premium Mobo

Dienekes78

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2012
Although I can build a system, I can't spec one. I’m not hardware heavy so am coming here for a recommendation. I have an older but well performing system built around an ASUS P5E3 premium motherboard (LGA 775 w/ Q9550 CPU). Its primary use was gaming and everything except the GPU was working well with cycles to spare. Apparently the motherboard has failed but the CPU and rest on my components are OK. New Egg has discontinued the P5E3 and I don't see anything on the net either. So short of upgrading my whole setup, is there something out there that can perform as well as the P53E that is reasonably priced? Toward year's end, I plan on heading to the Ivy Bridge equivalent of the current i5 2500K with a top end mobo.

My current build included:

CPU Yorkfield Q9550 Quad
Mobo ASUS P5E3 Premium
Case ANTEC 900
PSU ANTEC 1000
Memory 8 gig Corsair DDR3 CNX4Gx3M2a1600C9
HDs 2 WD Velocoraptor 300 GM (and a SSD not yet picked out)
GPU Nvidia GTX 280
CU fan, optical drives, gaming mouse and keyboard etc..
Windows 7 Ultimate running 64 bit
local 100gb LAN

Any thoughts on a good replacement - given I plan on moving to Ivy bridge in the next 8-10 months so this board doesn't have to do more that perform reasonably and accommodate my components? If I had to, I would go as high as $300 for the new board but would welcome a less costly choice - for example I had no need for the WIFI on the P5E3 and likely wasn't using many of those premium features with my gaming.

Dienekes78

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2012
Thank you for the recommendation - only problem I see is it has only two slots for memory so I guess I'll have to buy two sticks of 4gb ea of memory to go along with it... I was hoping to reuse the old memory, but given I'm skipping 4 years, I'm lucky I can re-use anything.