PC will not POST and CMOS / BIOS will not clear after trying ASRock instant boot

nhasibacsi

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2012
CMOS / BIOS will not clear on ASRock z68 Extreme 3 Gen 3 motherboard after unplugging computer after enabling Instant Boot. PC is brand new & was working great (able to run programs) before this occurred. Now PC LED & fans begin to run for 3 sec then turn off completely. Nothing shows on monitor. Motherboard does not POST.

Ways in which I have tried to clear the CMOS / BIOS:

Power off PC
Unplug PSU
Wait 15+ sec
Hold Clear CMOS button for 5+ sec
Plug PC back in
PC LED & fans begin to run for 3 sec then turn off completely. Nothing shows on monitor. Motherboard does not POST

Power off PC
Unplug PSU
Wait 15+ sec
Switch CMOS jumper to clear for 5+ sec
Switch CMOS jumper back
Plug PC back in
PC LED & fans begin to run for 3 sec then turn off completely. Nothing shows on monitor. Motherboard does not POST

Power off PC
Did NOT unplug PSU
Wait 15+ sec
Switch CMOS jumper to clear
Press power button on case (also tried a different time with power button on motherboard)
Switch CMOS jumper back
Nothing

Power off PC
Unplug PSU
Wait 15+ sec
Remove BIOS battery for 30 min
Hold Clear CMOS button for 5+ sec/Switch CMOS jumper to clear (switch it back)
Put battery back in
Plug PC back in

Tried contacting ASRock but there is no help phone number just an email form. HELP‼

Build:
i5-2500k (not yet overclocked)
Antec Kuhler H2O 620 liquid cooler
ASRock Z68 Extreme3 Gen3 LGA 1155 Intel Z68EVGA nVidia GTX 550 ti
Corsair Vengeance 16 GB RAM
OCZ Vertex 3 120 GB SSD
Corsair TX 650W v.2
Windows 7 Ultimate

nhasibacsi

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2012
Yes, I did. The problem has since been resolved. I had to take the Mobo out of the case and then use the CMOS switch. It was possible the case was shorting it somehow. Thanks though.

Toxxyc

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2011
If the case is somehow shorting it, you've got an underlying problem. I wouldn't run a motherboard if I suspect a short. Although it could simply have been charged caps in the PSU keeping the BIOS up as well, though it's highly unlikely, specially over the times you posted.

nhasibacsi

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2012
I've been running the PC now for a week all day long each day without issue. Hopefully, there is no short. That was a guess from a post on another forum. Another possibility was that the power button on the case sticks in the depressed position. However, this was discovered after the BIOS problems was fixed. But when the power button sticks, a similar problem occurs, which is fixed by "un-sticking" the power button.