Sign in with
Your question

Wireless external hard drive

Last response: in Wireless Networking
October 11, 2010 2:50:14 PM

Hi there,

If I explain what I'm trying to achieve, I'm hoping someone can point me in the right direction about how to achieve it (or tell me its a stupid idea).

Objective: To back up a desktop's data (photos etc) automatically at regular intervals to an external hard drive that is connected wirelessly.

Why: Because if someone breaks in and steals my computer they are also going to steal the portable usb hard drive, so I want to hide the hard drive (eg in the loft).

What I have: Windows 7 PC, USB external hard drive, wireless router, mains electricity in the loft.

All the devices I've seen so far seem to require plugging the hard drive into the router which has to be next to the PC (as that is where the phone socket is).

Any suggestions or pointers are appreciated.

Thank you,

James
October 11, 2010 4:35:07 PM

Thanks for the reply and link - I will investigate :) 
m
l
Related resources
October 11, 2010 4:52:39 PM

you could try an wireless Access Point or Repeater in connection with a NAS drive.

What ever you end up putting in the loft make sure it is nice and cool up there. It should not go above 110 F/ 45 C and make sure it is dust-free otherwise your equipment will not last long.
m
l
October 11, 2010 4:57:24 PM

you could also use two drives and rotate them everyday and hide one in the loft or off sight
m
l
October 11, 2010 5:16:22 PM

Emerald said:
you could try an wireless Access Point or Repeater in connection with a NAS drive.

What ever you end up putting in the loft make sure it is nice and cool up there. It should not go above 110 F/ 45 C and make sure it is dust-free otherwise your equipment will not last long.

Oh right, I assumed you'd use a ethernet enabled drive, not just one with USB. You do want a NAS, which is basically a usb drive but in place of the USB you have an ethernet port with some light software to enable network connectivity to the drive.
m
l
!