Improve HDD data transfer rate

Status
Not open for further replies.

kashifarri

Distinguished
Dec 13, 2010
Hi

I m Kashif_Riaz

I m using WD Cavier Green 1.0 TB Hard Drive and CPU is Core2Due 2.93 GHz (3mb Cache) , 2GB RAM.

Now, i want to know that how i can improve data transfer rate of my hard drive. Because its sometimes 15mb/s, sometimes 20mb/s, sometimes 50mb/s.

How it could b fast and stabled.

Should i use any type of software to improve it. But i asked Western Digital support , they said there is no need of any software like Raxco Perfect Disk, Disk Keeper etc, these are harmful. But i don't agree with it.

What is ur advice.

I am waiting

Salaam, Good Bye

$hawn

Distinguished
Oct 28, 2009

My friend brought a 500gb caviar green too...apparently they spin slower than 7200rpm, and hence have slower transfer rates....but they consume less power it seems.
Just use auslogics disk defrag, http://www.auslogics.com/en/software/disk-defrag/download/ , its safe and its free, and works remarkably well, trust me :)

PS:- And none of the softare u mentioned are harmfull, thats utter nonsense from WD !!!

sportsfanboy

Distinguished
The only real way to speed the drive up is what's called "short stroking." basically what you do is reduce the drive's size through partitioning, so the majority of the data assessed is on the faster spinning outer edge of the drive. Main problem is this negates the reasoning in getting a 1TB hard drive. Best bet is to grab a faster primary drive and use the current for storage.

The data transfer speeds depend on the reading/writing method (sequential or random).. Software is not going to help much here.. You can enhance performance by going RAID 0 or by buying better drives namely SSD's or hybrid SSD's (Seagate momentus XT)..

Status
Not open for further replies.