Closed

Computer won't read my new video card

Tags:
  • Graphics Cards
  • Computer
  • Graphics
Last response: in Graphics & Displays
December 30, 2010 3:08:59 AM

So I recently bought a XFX Radeon HD 4650 AGP 1GB graphics card for my Dell 8300. It's fully and totally compatible with my computer, I have a 400w power supply as well so I know that this is not contributing to the issue. But the problem I am having is that I put in the new card securely and everything fits, BUT the graphics card isn't showing that it's in my computer when I look at my device manager>display adapter it only shows "Standard VGA Graphics Adapter". I installed all necessary drivers for the card but it still isn't working. It's as if my AGP slot isnt reading that there's even a card in their. Before I installed the drivers, I removed all previous ones and installed the drivers off the disk they gave me. I tried putting in my old GeForce 6600 into the AGP slot and right away my win7 recognized it and reinstalled the drivers and it worked properly. This is frustrating because i searched all online problems similar, but nobody else seems to have this problem or a solution. If posting on this forum doesn't help, im considering having a repairman come by and fix it, but thats extremely expensive so I'm hoping someone else can help me do it myself. 

I apologize if my problem is unclear, it's hard to word exactly my problem, so if there is any clarity problems let me know and I'll try to re-word it. 

More about : computer read video card

a c 217 U Graphics card
December 30, 2010 3:32:51 AM

Given that it says "Standard VGA Graphics Adapater" in the device manager, this tells me that you have not installed the drivers for it, or at least they didn't properly install.

Go here, fill out the info and try the driver package that includes the catalyst control center: http://support.amd.com/us/psearch/Pages/psearch.aspx?ty...
Score
December 30, 2010 3:39:49 AM

bystander said:
Given that it says "Standard VGA Graphics Adapater" in the device manager, this tells me that you have not installed the drivers for it, or at least they didn't properly install.

Go here, fill out the info and try the driver package that includes the catalyst control center: http://support.amd.com/us/psearch/Pages/psearch.aspx?ty...

I have already tried doing that, Sir.

But I will try it once more.
Score
Related resources
December 30, 2010 3:48:19 AM

bystander said:

Just tried it and it's still saying "Standard VGA Adapter"
Score
a c 217 U Graphics card
December 30, 2010 3:54:36 AM

This may be an issue with the older Nvidia drivers getting in the way.

Try this:
Download RegCleaner
Uninstall the Nvidia drivers. Go to the control panel and use the uninstall programs list and get rid of everything Nvidia, except PhysX.
Run RegCleaner and remove everything Nvidia, except PhysX
Then attempt to install the drivers again.

I'm not sure if this will fix it, but sometimes the drivers won't work together.
Score
December 30, 2010 4:02:56 AM

RegClean is telling me I need to pay for it. I'm not going to do that.

Ive tried uninstalling everything nvidia, but one thing I should say is that when I go to "hardware and sound" it still shows NVIDIA Control Panel.
Score
December 30, 2010 4:18:12 AM

Can you explain to me exactly how to remove all Nvidia files through the RegClean program? I have it fully installed and everything, I just don't want to do the wrong thing
Score
December 30, 2010 3:07:04 PM

AGP Hotfix?
Score
December 30, 2010 3:41:11 PM

Tried the hotfix first and it didn't work either.

I appreciate both of your help, but I finally got it to work. I had to manually install the drivers through device manager.
Score
a c 274 U Graphics card
August 26, 2012 6:44:15 AM

This topic has been closed by Mousemonkey
Score
!