Sign in with
Your question

Laptop Upgrade Project

Last response: in CPUs
a b à CPUs
June 3, 2011 6:12:47 AM

This post is mostly intended to spread some info.

I recently upgraded my Yonah T2050 Socket M on a Sony Vaio VGN-N130G to a Merom T7600. It's got roughly twice the performance, benchmark wise, and my WEI went from a 4.0 to a 5.6 on the CPU and RAM.

I picked it up on ebay on "Buy It Now or Best Offer" for $55 and now my 4 year old laptop has the CPU power to keep doing all everyday computing tasks--which is pretty useful if I'm on the road and can't use my desktop.

Now I'm looking to upgrade the HDD since it's a 4.3 on the WEI--Old 80GB SATA I 5400rpm. I'll either get a $60 SSD for the IOPS or a $30 7200rpm 2.5" drive.

Hopefully someone finds it useful to know that upgrading a laptop CPU can be perfectly practical.

Sorry, if this is in the wrong thread.

EDIT: I also want to clarify that the new (used, actually) T7600 is running at the full speed fsb of 667MT/s and cpu speed of 2.33GHz.

More about : laptop upgrade project

a c 99 à CPUs
a b D Laptop
June 3, 2011 2:55:45 PM

Thank you for the good information!

After this substantial upgrade in CPU, did you notice any rise in temps? If so, how are you addressing it?
m
l
a b à CPUs
June 4, 2011 1:07:09 PM

My power went out, so I took a while to respond.

I haven't noticed a substantial heat increase. It's tough to be precise because I forgot to record my CPU temps prior to the upgrade. My wife's similar Dell 1505 that uses a T2250 hits 78C on LinX. Mine hits 88C now and has slightly worse vents for a similar heatsink. That leads me to believe that my original CPU hit maybe 80C on LinX before and 88C now--so no big heat increase. Tjmax is 100C for this CPU, by the way.

Old Max: 80C
New Max: 88C
Tjmax: 100C

The new good thermal compound (Tuniq TX-2) may also dissipate heat better than the original compound.

Keep in mind that LinX causes higher temps than pretty much any real world CPU intensive operations will cause. Also, I live in Guam and don't usually have air conditioning so the humid tropical air bumps my temps up about 10C or so.
m
l
Related resources
a c 99 à CPUs
a b D Laptop
June 4, 2011 2:36:51 PM

Thanks!
m
l
a b à CPUs
June 14, 2011 6:02:29 AM

This topic's not really closed, but I keep getting emails prompting me to choose a best answer.
m
l
a c 99 à CPUs
a b D Laptop
June 15, 2011 2:50:41 AM

Yes, that happens whenever one starts a thread! Once the 'best answer' is selected, the mod can close the thread.
m
l
a b à CPUs
June 22, 2011 12:18:30 AM

Yeah, I know. But I didn't really want to close the thread because I might add a hard drive sometime and it's tough to "best" answer a non-question. You know how the Hot Deals forum doesn't require best answers? Anyways, I'll keep this open another month or so as I hope for a 40GB or larger lousy SSD for $60 or less.
m
l
!