Noise / Noisy fan systems

darreng101

Distinguished
Nov 12, 2010
Have just built a system for moderate gaming/bit of CAD/home media and think I went overboard on or am not controlling the fans right.

I have a Coolermaster HAF 922 case with an extra 200mm 19dB side fan (so front/side/top 200s and a 120 std rear). The other fan comes from a Zalman 9900 for the cpu and Sapphire HD5850 card that runs cool. ( Or is it the Power which is a CM 650W)

Problem is even with min. BIOS settings the' fans' run loud at CPU temp 38 degrees C.

Cannot use this as a Media Centre at night when the girl is asleep because the fans overpower the audio.

Is there a fan controller I can get that shuts off most fans except at high CPU temp. Can I have programmabe control over the noise? For use when its a media system? Or drop a fan???

Cheers guys,
Daj

Solution
Hello darreng101;

Did you hook up the fans using the motherboard fan headers?
Or are you using the big 4 pin molex connectors attached directly to the PSU?

You can test the system with just the rear exhaust fan (and PSU fan/CPU fan of course) to get a baseline on how quiet the system could be. You can even stop the rear fan to check that it's not creating some unusual noise characteristic.
Hello darreng101;

Did you hook up the fans using the motherboard fan headers?
Or are you using the big 4 pin molex connectors attached directly to the PSU?

You can test the system with just the rear exhaust fan (and PSU fan/CPU fan of course) to get a baseline on how quiet the system could be. You can even stop the rear fan to check that it's not creating some unusual noise characteristic.

Solution

darreng101

Distinguished
Nov 12, 2010
Hey WR2,

Thanks for the advice.

The fans go thru the MB barr one as MB doesn't have enough connections. I have the CPU Zalman running thru the optional resistor cable to slow it to its quietest speed.

Have shut off the non essential fans and it seems its the PSU.... CM GW650 (or the graphics card fan Sapphire HD5850 Vapor-X) but I think PSU. Is there any way to shut off the PSU fan when not under heat stress or do I need a better one for my needs.

Cheers,
Daj