Sign in with
Your question

MSI 870A-G54 and thermal take case wont power on.

Tags:
  • Homebuilt
  • Power
  • Systems
  • Product
Last response: in Systems
March 4, 2011 2:16:58 PM

ok, so im building myself a new computer and i have all the components installed and its ready to be powered on but theres a problem. the power switch led for the case takes up 3 pins and the power switch has 2 but according to the diagram in the mother boards manual the led is only supposed to take up 2 pins. also there is an 8 pin power hook up that i looked at in the manual and the top 2 pins dont actually seem to do anything so i have a 6 pin connector plugged into it from the power suply. Any help would be appreciated.

More about : msi 870a g54 thermal case wont power

March 4, 2011 2:23:25 PM

First, regarding the power switch/LED from your case:

- The power switch from your case should connect to 2 pins on your motherboard (one pin is voltage, one pin is ground).
- The power LED from your case should connect to another 2 pins on your motherboard (again one pin voltage, one pin ground).

Regarding the power connectors to the motherboard:

- There should be a 24 pin connector from the power supply to the motherboard.
- There should also be an 8 pin connector from the power supply to the CPU.

Are these all connected up?
m
l
March 4, 2011 2:57:44 PM

loosley said:
First, regarding the power switch/LED from your case:

- The power switch from your case should connect to 2 pins on your motherboard (one pin is voltage, one pin is ground).
- The power LED from your case should connect to another 2 pins on your motherboard (again one pin voltage, one pin ground).

Regarding the power connectors to the motherboard:

- There should be a 24 pin connector from the power supply to the motherboard.
- There should also be an 8 pin connector from the power supply to the CPU.

Are these all connected up?

ok as for the mother board i have the bottom 6 pins hooked up on the 8 pin connector for the cpu and the 24 pin connector is all hooked up. the led for the power switch has a voltage and ground wire but it has an extra socket so it takes up 3 pins so i cant fit the power switch.
m
l
Related resources
a c 90 B Homebuilt system
March 4, 2011 3:14:23 PM

pureflipper said:
ok as for the mother board i have the bottom 6 pins hooked up on the 8 pin connector for the cpu and the 24 pin connector is all hooked up. the led for the power switch has a voltage and ground wire but it has an extra socket so it takes up 3 pins so i cant fit the power switch.
For CPU aux power you should only use a four pin or 8 pin connector from the PSU into the motherboard.
Are you saying you have a 6pin connector from the PSU plugged into the 8pin motherboard connector?
It sounds like that 6 pin connector might be one for the video card?
m
l
March 4, 2011 3:22:05 PM

oh i was trying to power the cpu with the pci power cord xD fixed it but now i realize that this mother board has no vga output so until i buy a graphics card its just a box. any suggestions, im on a budget.
m
l
March 4, 2011 3:35:37 PM

Can you list all the parts you're using?
What budget range do you want to use for the video card?
m
l
March 4, 2011 3:37:23 PM

Also list the resolution of your monitor if you're interested in gaming.
m
l
March 4, 2011 3:54:09 PM

im pretty sure that its 1440x900 and heres my build so far, * MSI 870A-G54 , G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 4GB DDR3 ram, Rosewill RV2-700 700W power suply, Sony Optiarc CD/DVD Burner, * AMD Phenom II X2 545 Callisto 3.0GHz (oem awsome deal), Western Digital Caviar Black WD5002AALX 500GB.
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
March 4, 2011 4:05:25 PM

Don't hook a 6 pin PCIe connector to the mobo!

You have a 4+4 ATX/EPS connector, that goes in the mobo.

m
l
March 4, 2011 4:26:32 PM

just found out my grandma is picking up the bill on my graphics card for my birthday so i geuss im not going to be ordering online thanks for your help guys
m
l
!