MSI 870A-G54 and thermal take case wont power on.

ok, so im building myself a new computer and i have all the components installed and its ready to be powered on but theres a problem. the power switch led for the case takes up 3 pins and the power switch has 2 but according to the diagram in the mother boards manual the led is only supposed to take up 2 pins. also there is an 8 pin power hook up that i looked at in the manual and the top 2 pins dont actually seem to do anything so i have a 6 pin connector plugged into it from the power suply. Any help would be appreciated.
11 answers Last reply
More about 870a thermal case wont power
  1. First, regarding the power switch/LED from your case:

- The power switch from your case should connect to 2 pins on your motherboard (one pin is voltage, one pin is ground).
    - The power LED from your case should connect to another 2 pins on your motherboard (again one pin voltage, one pin ground).

Regarding the power connectors to the motherboard:

- There should be a 24 pin connector from the power supply to the motherboard.
    - There should also be an 8 pin connector from the power supply to the CPU.

Are these all connected up?
  2. loosley said:
    First, regarding the power switch/LED from your case:

- The power switch from your case should connect to 2 pins on your motherboard (one pin is voltage, one pin is ground).
    - The power LED from your case should connect to another 2 pins on your motherboard (again one pin voltage, one pin ground).

Regarding the power connectors to the motherboard:

- There should be a 24 pin connector from the power supply to the motherboard.
    - There should also be an 8 pin connector from the power supply to the CPU.

Are these all connected up?

ok as for the mother board i have the bottom 6 pins hooked up on the 8 pin connector for the cpu and the 24 pin connector is all hooked up. the led for the power switch has a voltage and ground wire but it has an extra socket so it takes up 3 pins so i cant fit the power switch.
  3. pureflipper said:
    ok as for the mother board i have the bottom 6 pins hooked up on the 8 pin connector for the cpu and the 24 pin connector is all hooked up. the led for the power switch has a voltage and ground wire but it has an extra socket so it takes up 3 pins so i cant fit the power switch.
    For CPU aux power you should only use a four pin or 8 pin connector from the PSU into the motherboard.
    Are you saying you have a 6pin connector from the PSU plugged into the 8pin motherboard connector?
    It sounds like that 6 pin connector might be one for the video card?
  4. oh i was trying to power the cpu with the pci power cord xD fixed it but now i realize that this mother board has no vga output so until i buy a graphics card its just a box. any suggestions, im on a budget.
  5. Can you list all the parts you're using?
    What budget range do you want to use for the video card?
  6. Also list the resolution of your monitor if you're interested in gaming.
  7. im pretty sure that its 1440x900 and heres my build so far, * MSI 870A-G54 , G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 4GB DDR3 ram, Rosewill RV2-700 700W power suply, Sony Optiarc CD/DVD Burner, * AMD Phenom II X2 545 Callisto 3.0GHz (oem awsome deal), Western Digital Caviar Black WD5002AALX 500GB.
  8. Can you handle a $100 video card with your budget? That would work great with a 1440x900 monitor
    THG: Best Graphics Cards For The Money: February 2011
  9. Don't hook a 6 pin PCIe connector to the mobo!

You have a 4+4 ATX/EPS connector, that goes in the mobo.
  10. just found out my grandma is picking up the bill on my graphics card for my birthday so i geuss im not going to be ordering online thanks for your help guys
Ask a new question

Read More

Homebuilt Power Systems Product